Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Living Hinge FeatureScript custom feature?

I am trying to create a living hinge on a flat surface that can be laser cut.  I have been able to create the living hinge by cutting long rectangles out of a part but the process is time consuming and not efficient. I tried to create a custom feature myself but do not have enough coding experience to do it successfully.  Is there a custom feature similar to how LaserJoint functions that would allow me to create living hinges quickly and easily? 

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @sofia_simon_trench

I don't think this specific feature exists yet, but there are lots of code happy people around here.  It seems like a pretty simple custom feature, maybe if you describe the inputs and desired result in detail here, someone will code it up for you quickly.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    shaleen_harlalkashaleen_harlalka Member Posts: 4
    I'd like to second the request for a living hinge featurescript.

Here's how I see it working.
    • Acts on a single part, that is a combination of planar sections interleaved with cylindrical sections

• Other inputs will be:
      InputDefaultDescription
      stretch1.05Hint of how much the flex part should be shortened
      connection1 mmwidth of the gaps in the cuts
      distance0.5 mmwidth of the pattern perpendicular to the cuts. The code should try to evenly divide the available length so that distance is at least the specified number
      thickness0.1 mmThickness of the cuts made
      slotcountNumber of slots to cut lengthwise

The output will be the original shape, flattened out to a single plane, with the cut pattern made along the cylindrical edges.

I will be incredibly grateful to anyone who can make this.
  • Options
    PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I don't have a script but your cut outs can be made on the flat pattern. You'll need a better pattern than I thru together as example. Your dimension table can be incorporated as variables and using constraints on construction lines.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44300b8443e31a8a7552cb4e/w/9ece92663a727e60560de254/e/7065876524fb33db90d58e16