Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.
Living Hinge FeatureScript custom feature?
sofia_simon_trench Member Posts: 1 EDU
I am trying to create a living hinge on a flat surface that can be laser cut. I have been able to create the living hinge by cutting long rectangles out of a part but the process is time consuming and not efficient. I tried to create a custom feature myself but do not have enough coding experience to do it successfully. Is there a custom feature similar to how LaserJoint functions that would allow me to create living hinges quickly and easily?
I don't think this specific feature exists yet, but there are lots of code happy people around here. It seems like a pretty simple custom feature, maybe if you describe the inputs and desired result in detail here, someone will code it up for you quickly.
Here's how I see it working.
The output will be the original shape, flattened out to a single plane, with the cut pattern made along the cylindrical edges.
- Acts on a single part, that is a combination of planar sections interleaved with cylindrical sections
- Other inputs will be:
Input Default Description stretch 1.05 Hint of how much the flex part should be shortened connection 1 mm width of the gaps in the cuts distance 0.5 mm width of the pattern perpendicular to the cuts. The code should try to evenly divide the available length so that distance is at least the specified number thickness 0.1 mm Thickness of the cuts made slotcount Number of slots to cut lengthwise
I will be incredibly grateful to anyone who can make this.