Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Setting parametric variable values from configuration table

ralph_stirlingralph_stirling Member Posts: 7 EDU
I have been using a lot of parametric variables to drive model designs.  It has (finally) occurred to me that Configurations would be even better for a number of my parts.  I would like to have configuration tables that can set parametric variables so I don't have to redo all my models to replace parametric variables with configuration variables.  Reading docs and playing with the configurations tab has not yet revealed to me a way to do this.

For example, I have made a model for a generic syringe.  I would like to have configurations for different size syringes (10mL plastic, 3mL plastic, 2mL glass, etc).  Each size would have different values for #syr_body_od, #syr_body_len, etc.

The syringe model is at:

I suspect I have simply missed some simple and obvious way to do this.

Thanks,
-- Ralph

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    If the variables have set values for each syringe size then just create a configuration and add the variables to the table. If you want to replace standard variables with configuration variables (so that there are infinite sizes), just create configuration variables with the same name as your variable features, then delete the variable features. First option is what you are asking for I think. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ralph_stirlingralph_stirling Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Thank you, Neil.  The first option is exactly what I want to do, but the configurator wants me to right-click on features to add them.  It won't let me select variables.  How do I get parametric variables entered into the configuration table?  I'm clearly missing something basic.

Thanks again,
    -- Ralph
  • ralph_stirlingralph_stirling Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Indeed it does!  Easy enough when you know how.

Thanks again!
    -- Ralph
  • luke_morales_324luke_morales_324 Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 3
    https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/tech-tip-parametric-variables-vs-configuration-variables this Tech Tip points out some key ways to use Variables both as features and as configurations.