Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

naming

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
Please make naming 'cascading' by letting new names being inherited from the generating process. 

example:
I start with a sketch and give it a name, say 'gripper'
Then I extrude it, please let it inherit the name 'gripper' both as operation and resulting part so instead of the feature being named the useless 'Extrude #' then its called 'gripper' (anyway the icon tells what operation it is  so calling it Extrude is redundant).
The resulting part should also inherit the name 'gripper' instead of  'Part #' 
 It would really make the documentation a hole lot easier. 

Comments

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I would disagree with this functionality. Its not uncommon to do more than one extrude operation from any given sketch, so now I wold have a sketch and multiple extrudes all named "gripper". So, in this case, I like the generic names until I'm able to set them how I want. 

In a similar manner its very common to have a part made up of multiple extrudes, revolves, and other features. How would Onshape know which feature name to use for the part? 
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    tim_hess427 I don't get your point. As of now you get Part1....Part100. Better to have 'gripper1' to 'gripper100'. If you like the insignificant Part better and like to rename many times I suggest to put it as a toggle option in settings for people like you. 
    [Smart naming] /  [Nerd naming]
    Right  now a boolean of multiple instances results in the name of last instance right? 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Like @tim_hess427 I regularly use a sketch for multiple extrudes
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    And you dont rename? Or do you like these insignificant redundant names? I don't understand the common attitude to be against improvements. I wonder if you were contrary to inferred constraints as well?
    Maybe my proposal is not clear enough?
  • badmechanicbadmechanic Member Posts: 6
    Naming in onshape can become a mess when many parts are created by extruding. For example, when used for architecture I will extrude a dozen studs from a profile. These all get named "Part [x]" and must be renamed individually.

A group rename function would be much appreciated. Select all the parts and rename them according to a pattern. It may be possible to do this using a "multiple cursors" analogy (a cursor appears in the rename input field of each box, and your keyboard affects all the inputs simultaneously). Alternatively, the rename could be a simple pattern  - enter "Stud" and the studs get renamed "Stud1", "Stud2", etc.
  • badmechanicbadmechanic Member Posts: 6
    This is even more of a mess because parts cannot be grouped. A directory for related parts would also help keep a complex workspace organized.
  • robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps an alternative could be to have the NAME field highlighted and ready to accept keyboard input when creating a new feature or the part, or surface that is the result of a feature operation. I would also like this available in the tab when creating a new part, assembly, etc. This would eliminate some mouse work and would be a be a nice nudge to 'just go ahead and do it now'.- Scotty