Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Reversing plane orientation

dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
Hi,
Is it possible to reverse the orientation of the original 3 planes (front, top, right)? I built something in the wrong direction, and the fact that the actual front of my part is opposite of the front shown on the cube. My OCD is killing me because of this, and I don't like the idea of mirroring the part or going back to mess with the first weird sketch. Ideally, I want to be able to reverse what is front and what is back on the directional cube instead of having to create or edit a feature. I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, this is my first time using the OnShape forums.

Thanks!
"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince

Answers

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    Hello @dawen_cheng

If you create a sketch using a mate connector, you can invert the direction of the plane. Hope this helps!

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    To add to @John_P_Desilets answer - edit your first sketch and replace the front plane with a flipped mate connector. If this doesn't work, you could use Transform to rotate the model 180 degrees. OCD is a terrible thing, I know, but it really doesn't matter which way the model is pointing.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    To add to @John_P_Desilets answer - edit your first sketch and replace the front plane with a flipped mate connector. If this doesn't work, you could use Transform to rotate the model 180 degrees. OCD is a terrible thing, I know, but it really doesn't matter which way the model is pointing.
    Hello @dawen_cheng

If you create a sketch using a mate connector, you can invert the direction of the plane. Hope this helps!

I tried the mate connector idea, though it doesn't seem to work for the purposes I am going for - it still puts an extra feature in the design tree, which is really what I'm trying to avoid. That's why I decided not to transform or mirror the model before. Is there no way to reverse front and back on the directional cube (similar to how one might change the default units)?

If not that's ok - I still appreciate the help you guys have given. I might just end up rebuilding the model from scratch so that extra features are not needed (it sounds stupid but I'm bothered by the reversed orientation to a degree that I realize is quite unreasonable).

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery, The Little Prince
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    No, you can't change the default planes - but if you look in John's image above, you can create a mate connector on-the-fly in the sketch dialog so that it won't appear as an extra feature.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • dawen_chengdawen_cheng Member Posts: 11 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    Hello @dawen_cheng

I tried the mate connector idea, though it doesn't seem to work for the purposes I am going for - it still puts an extra feature in the design tree, which is really what I'm trying to avoid. That's why I decided not to transform or mirror the model before. Is there no way to reverse front and back on the directional cube (similar to how one might change the default units)?

If not that's ok - I still appreciate the help you guys have given. I might just end up rebuilding the model from scratch so that extra features are not needed (it sounds stupid but I'm bothered by the reversed orientation to a degree that I realize is quite unreasonable).