Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Radiused corners black out on drawing in elevation - how to fix?

I have a design of a raspberrypi case in which the vertical corners are rounded 4mm.  This rounding is indicated by vertical lines spaced around the "round" in the isometric and in the elevations. Is there some way to either reduce the number of lines or just show the tangent?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• john_ferguson402john_ferguson402 Member Posts: 11
    Answer ✓
    It turns out that this is probably an unfixable artifact of importing an stl file.  all of these lines are actually the edges of the rectangular facets of which the rounds are comprised. This is how the stl comes into OnShape.  I cannot see any way to get rid of them. I get the same things sectioning the cylindrical screw holes.  I'd thought of extruding a larger cylinder hole concentric with the stl screw holes, but that doesn't seem to get rid of the surface.  Maybe there is some way to fix this, but for now, I'm going to just redo the entire part in OnShape.  

Thanks for looking into this with me.

john

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    there typically only are tangent lines

do you have a screenshot showing what you mean?

In the mean time, if you right click a view you have options for showing hidden lines/ tangent lines etc.. play with those and see if it helps.

also, the document properties has options for line styles. There you can set up thickness color etc..

this is pretty close to what it looks like. No smart remarks about my dimensioning, this drawing is mostly a sanity check.
    and thanks for your help with this.
    Answer ✓
    It turns out that this is probably an unfixable artifact of importing an stl file.  all of these lines are actually the edges of the rectangular facets of which the rounds are comprised. This is how the stl comes into OnShape.  I cannot see any way to get rid of them. I get the same things sectioning the cylindrical screw holes.  I'd thought of extruding a larger cylinder hole concentric with the stl screw holes, but that doesn't seem to get rid of the surface.  Maybe there is some way to fix this, but for now, I'm going to just redo the entire part in OnShape.  

Thanks for looking into this with me.

john
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Oh, it was a mesh? Yea you will likely need to re draw it.

I didn't know meshes could even be inserted into the drawing.. 

I couldn't reproduce the problem. Although I didn't try stl import..
    Glad you were able to figure it out 
    This started out with the import of the parts needed to make a case for a RaspberryPI4 with X825 2.5HD adaptor. The design was available via STL files on Thingiverse, which when I 3D Printed them needed some "improvements".  I comverted them to STP solids using FreeCAD, then imported the STP files into OnShape.  It appears that STP files converted from STL files retain the facets of the STL files which is where all the rectangles in the cylinddrical surfaces came from in the Drawings.

I must say that with CAD experience going back to late 1983 AutoCAD, thenPro/Engineer from 1989, and then Creo, for which i have a current subscription, I find the ease with which one can improve an imported STP design in OnShape astonishing. Being able to extrude an STP face complete with all manner of complexities as easily as OnShape makes possible is truly wonderful.