Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 9th, 2020

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
edited March 2020 in New in Onshape
Exactly 3 weeks has passed since our last update and we are back again with another. This update includes improvements to the newly released Exploded View tool, drawings, and more. Let's dive in.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

EXPLODED VIEW IMPROVEMENTS

You can now view exploded views when using Follow Mode in Onshape. This can be a useful way to dissect assemblies while collaborating with others.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/9eimln0etv

TABLE IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to the grip points in tables that allow you to resize all columns or rows at once.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/anzgplh1my

CALLOUT IMPROVEMENTS

Improvements have been made to callouts and Datum symbols that have eliminated the grip point for dragging. Now you can left-click drag any piece of the annotation and it will allow you to drag.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Comments

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drawing improvements are always very welcome
    Good work
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Rickey_WangRickey_Wang Member Posts: 8 PRO
    Has there been a change to the Drawings UI in general as well? It feels slightly more snappy now, and the font rendering seems to make the characters more bold than before.
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    edited March 2020
    Nice one guys.
    I like the slight adjustment to all the tool icons etc. Crisper, and much more legible.

Also: when I search for a Custom FeatureScript (Alt+C): the full list no longer flies out over my search results! Yay!

[EDIT: nope, this behaviour actually hasn't changed...must've gotten lucky).

I agree - feels snappier all around right now.
  • alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Follow Mode in exploded views will be very useful! I'm also loving all of the little tweaks and improvements from the changelog. It's really the detailed refinements which make a software application "feel" great.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 225 PRO
    edited March 2020
    This is great, thank you. The icons are nice and clear too! Now the only thing that is left is to change that browser icon back to the way it was for a nice clear modern look.
    ;)  
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Nice, short sweet and to the point.

Thanks for making the annotation grips easier to grab, and table quicker to size :)
    (still would be nice to get a table format, with pre-sized cells and properties not mirroring the assembly bom)
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Great to see the new improvements.  Thanks, very much appreciated!

I like the improvements to the tables but what would be really is good to be able to hide a column or be able to set the drawing format for the table in the assembly which is separated from the assembly table setup. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • superdave156superdave156 Member Posts: 1
    Since this morning, 10th March 2020, the Features Toolbar has vanished from my workspace. How do I show it please?
    Thanks, David
    Firefox browser
    Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS

• brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Thanks y'all! The table resizing will save a bunch of time.
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • MBartlett21MBartlett21 Member, OS Professional, Developers Posts: 2,034 EDU
    edited March 2020
    Glad to see the improvements.

However, when I opened Onshape this morning, half of my features were missing from each toolbar and I had to manually add them back. Was this meant to happen?

Also, the forum font seems to have suddenly become a lot smaller
    mb - draftsman - also FS author: View FeatureScripts
    IR for AS/NZS 1100
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    In the changelog, there's a line about changing the linked document icon to the version icon from the linked document icon. When I look at an assembly, I see the version icon now. Can we assume the linked document icon will no longer be used anymore?

• don_williams909don_williams909 Member Posts: 138 PRO
    Nice updates.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @romeograham

It appears that behavior only happens if your mouse is over some part of the toolbar during the search.  So if you are using the shortcut to open the search, and leave your mouse over the graphics area, those tools will not overlap your search.

You can also get rid of it by unchecking "highlight in toolbar" in the bottom right corner of the search itself, but this is only persistent over the current session and will not survive a refresh.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    Thanks @Jake_Rosenfeld I noticed that subtlety as well (keyboard shortcut)...somehow, I use the shortcut AND leave my cursor up there....will get the cursor out of the way from now on.

Thanks for the "highlight.." tip.
  • Michael_CoffeeMichael_Coffee Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    Been going through our assemblies and I am no closer to understanding why the "linked document" symbol was changed. Before the change, if a version of the model was used inside of its own document (ex: in a drawing so it didn't keep on pulling Main for every change made), I saw the symbol and knew what was going on with it. Now, don't see a difference. Even the linked document symbol inside of a drawing has disappeared.

I am confused.
  • danny_paynedanny_payne Member, User Group Leader Posts: 35 PRO
    I like the improvements. Thank you
  • MyzharMyzhar Member Posts: 6
    Good update... but I'm still waiting for "Assembly mirror" :smile:

Walter "Myzhar" Lucetti
    www.myzhar.com

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ding ding ding...  :D
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común