Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

FEATURE REQUESTS

2»

Comments

• bert_drakebert_drake Member Posts: 3
    I agree.  I wish you could lock the vertical using a shift key or something, at least.
  • billy_araujobilly_araujo Member Posts: 1
    1. Midsurface/mid-plane extraction.

• jared_fitzclarencejared_fitzclarence Member Posts: 13 PRO
    1) be able to label all rows and columns in a configuration table
    2) use a value in a configuration table as a variable in another dimension. E.g. when defining a square tube you have two dimensions, the size & thickness and the corner radius is known to be 2.5x the thickness but you cant use this value in the configuration table to drive the equation in the sketch
    3) Trim to construction line. Sometimes in a complex sketch, it helps to clarify things to trim out unnecessary sketch elements and it certainly then makes it easier later to extrude etc if you don't have to click on dozens of parts of your sketch however you don't always want to completely remove the feature. Solidworks has a number of options when trimming and one i use all of the time but really miss in onshape is to trim to construction geometry.
    4) Give the ability to create sheet metal along a centre line not one side or the other only and also give the ability to individually change line sides. So often when designing sheet metal parts you have to subtract the thickness when defining a dimension and if you then go and change the thickness you have to go back and change your sketch.
    5) Integrate with BySoft & TruTops etc. for transfer of sheetmetal parts with K-Factor, Bend radius, angle etc. Not just a dumb dxf
    6) Improve speed in Australia, OnShape is sooooooo slow with big parts studios in Aus
    7) Bulk Export to dxf's: Show a view i.e. top view and export all to dxf. or select multiple part faces and export all at once. 
    8) Identify and link identical parts in the part studio of then naming and bom etc in drawings
    9) allow each corner or bend in a sheet metal model to be uniquely defined. E.g change relief detail in 1 corner only

• deadsealabsdeadsealabs Member Posts: 1
    When I am working on a sketch and using a mesh as a reference, I wish I do not have to 1) project the vertices from the mesh into my sketch first then 2) use the projected points in my sketch. Why can't I do it in a single step? I know it might not should like much, but man, this doubles the amount of work, especially when dealing with complex meshes. I must first project a whole bunch of vertices and then connect them in my sketch. It is so tedious in some cases, we opted to use an external tool to convert the STL files into BREP files and bring then into OS as solids.
    Cheers
  • kenyon_shutt424kenyon_shutt424 Member Posts: 4
    I have a few simple suggestions that I think would really help out my workflow, and maybe others too!

1. Ability to resize edit-feature windows. Sometimes a feature references a LOT of entities and it would be great to grab a corner and maximize that little pop up and see them all at once, instead of scrolling through a small menu designed for ~3-4 items. Also, sometimes with extreme large or extreme small sizes of the browser window, the edit-feature popup just looks too big or too small.

2. Ability to add typed notes to sketch elements. Sometimes I keep things in sketches to reference discreet little steps far in the distant future. Being able to point them out for clarity or future reference would be GREAT. I'm envisioning something similar to a callout in a drawing, but but that is not visible unless you open the sketch or create a drawing of the sketch.

3. Allowance for the "for construction" type to apply to points instead of just lines. Often I make a sketch containing just points (to make a hole pattern or something) that references midpoints. Currently, I cannot select the entire sketch to apply the holes, I have to make either a new sketch that only references some holes, or click through every hole on the sketch except for the reference points, which could easily have been converted to "for construction" type.

Loving the product, and I really love the new updates. Keep them coming!!!!
  • kenyon_shutt424kenyon_shutt424 Member Posts: 4
    Ooh I have a couple more -

When creating mates from existing mate connectors that have a previously known distance in space relatively to each other, there should be a way when setting up the mate, to import the existing relations into the offset of the new mate. I'm thinking about slider mates in particular. When setting up a slider mate, first, I'll add the two mate connectors, and naturally they won't line up with each other. Next, I'll select slider mate, and when I select the two mate connectors without offset, the two instances move to align the mate connectors. Now, I have to manually copy the offsets of the connectors via the measure tool and paste them into the mate offset fields. Instead, I want the ability to have the offset of the slider mates change, when the instances do not move.

When using boolean to union parts, I want the option that the result of the union effectively modifies one of the tools to the union, thus keeping that tool's relations to mates and other parts. Instead, now, the result of the union is treated as an entirely new part, and all the later relationships and mates have to be rebuilt w/r/t this new part.

Thank you for reading this and considering the suggestions!!!

• Trevin_PowellTrevin_Powell Member Posts: 7
    Category 1:
    The Rib Feature should have an option to automatically draft the ribs (The extrude feature already does this). Ribs almost always need to be drafted so The draft feature is not very useful without this capability. These ribs often need fillets as well so the capability to fillet the intersections of two ribs would be extremly helpfull.
    I think someone has done most of the work to build something like this but it should be part of the default rib feature.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/67de1cda4399707a3649fcdf/w/181b53b0b4848a4a4f9e5e38/e/80d20fa444414687e1e7b2fd
  • Trevin_PowellTrevin_Powell Member Posts: 7
    Category 1:
    The Rib Feature should have an option to automatically draft the ribs (The extrude feature already does this). Ribs almost always need to be drafted so The draft feature is not very useful without this capability. These ribs often need fillets as well so the capability to fillet the intersections of two ribs would be extremly helpfull.
    I think someone has done most of the work to build something like this but it should be part of the default rib feature.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/67de1cda4399707a3649fcdf/w/181b53b0b4848a4a4f9e5e38/e/80d20fa444414687e1e7b2fd