Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Set Default Aspect Ratio for Drawings?

timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
Is there a process to set a default aspect ratio of 1:1 so this does not need to be manually set for each new drawing? 

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Yes, create your own drawing template. Instructions on how to do this are in the help. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • timothy_jumptimothy_jump Member Posts: 22
    edited May 2020
    I did exactly what was in the instructions for creating a custom template. I exported it as a dwt, and imported it. Every time I use it, the parts come in with different aspect ratios. I redid the process a couple of times and always with the same result. What am I missing?

I should also mention, my sheet size also changes away from where I set it, when I Export/Import the dwt.
    Update: I was able to get the custom sheet size to set, but when trying to insert a part, the Insert View always sets the aspect ratio to something other than 1:1. Is this a setting in the Insert View that needs to be adjusted, and not in the drawing template? It would be great to get this to always insert the part in a 1:1 aspect ratio.
    Thanks Eric. This is the conclusion I've come to as well, after many attempts to find a way. I'll just need to add in an extra step to the process for my students to follow (and an extra cross-check when the files are sent to the laser cutter).
  • Eric_GauthierEric_Gauthier Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Thanks Eric. This is the conclusion I've come to as well, after many attempts to find a way. I'll just need to add in an extra step to the process for my students to follow (and an extra cross-check when the files are sent to the laser cutter).
    When you send the drawing to the laser cutter, I suppose you export it to dxf. You don't need the view for laser cutting to be 1:1 since the export command will make it to 1:1. I think you just need the view for laser cutting to be the same scale as the sheet. Can you confirm?
    The dxf export retains the aspect ratio set in the Insert View. Thus, when I open at the laser cutter I need to re-scale the drawing sheet. I was hoping for a setting to allow me to set the Insert View aspect ratio so I would not need to go through this step with each export.

I'm not able to set a default re-scale at the laser because Onshape seems to set the Insert View aspect ratio at different values according to the size of the part in relation to the size of the sheet.

Oh well...