Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Drawings 'n dimensions ...

ella_meunierella_meunier Member Posts: 5 EDU
edited June 2020 in Community Support
HI,
I'm a bit confused about the dimensions in a drawing.
I initially had a block of 30x60 mm in the Part studio (as marked in the red rectangle).
After setting up the dimensions in the drawing I'm a bit confused about the weird numbers on the other  3 views...

Best Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Dimensions in Onshape drawings are measuring 2D projections of the object as it sits on the paper, rather than the "true" dimension of the 3D object.

So you will not be able to have dimensions on your ISO view, because it will only be a "Point-to-Point" dimension as if you printed out the paper and measured those points with a caliper.

Answers

• Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    @ella_meunier,

The weird dimensions appear with entities that are not parallel to the drawing sheet. What you are doing is against the 'drawing rules' (of Onshape).
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • ella_meunierella_meunier Member Posts: 5 EDU
    Ok, understand.
    And how can I fix it?
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Dimensions in Onshape drawings are measuring 2D projections of the object as it sits on the paper, rather than the "true" dimension of the 3D object.

So you will not be able to have dimensions on your ISO view, because it will only be a "Point-to-Point" dimension as if you printed out the paper and measured those points with a caliper.
  • SWBSWB Member Posts: 3 PRO
    When will we be able to make correct 3d (ISO projection or other) dimensions