Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

High School teacher looking for guidance

jim_reillyjim_reilly Member Posts: 3 EDU
I am electrical eng by training but have started teaching an intro to eng high school class. Interested in using onShape to introduce students to using CAD and to create some basic designs that we can later print on our makerbot 3d printer. 

Is there an outline or instructors guide for what online courses to use from onShape and in what order to help give a basic introduction? I am transition to online instruction for my students and this appears to be a good way to introduce cad and 3d design while also introducing a 3d cad tool that is commercially used by many universities and companies.

Thanks an advance for any advice you can offer or links to a syllabus to follow for next week or two.
Regards,
Jim

Comments

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 194
    @jim_reilly

Dig into the Learning Center! The content we have is designed for students and professionals alike- its not exactly an instructor guide, but courses your students can do. EDU Onshape subscriptions receive access to all of the self-paced content, technical briefings, and videos in the Learning Center for free.

We have an Introduction to CAD pathway that is geared towards students, learning how to model and design in a parametric feature-based system for the first time. I think this would be a great place to begin to design a curriculum using this content. When a student completes the pathway they receive a Completion Certificate after completing the survey- so you can check to see if they have done it. 

There is also an Instructor community forum- that is a good place to discuss with other instructors curriculum ideas using Onshape. 

I think those are good resources to get started! Let us know how else we can help!
  • john_kraljicjohn_kraljic Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Although I've used OnShape with my FIRST Robotics Team for a couple of years, I am just now attempting to introduce OnShape to a group of freshmen via teaching from home.  From a nuts and bolts, getting started perspective, I've found How To Set Up Your OnShape Classroom  useful and OnShape.com - Getting Started.  Tomorrow I'll find out how well they did with their first part.
    Good luck,
    -John
  • jayson_englandjayson_england Member Posts: 6 PRO
    Is there a place for simple projects that students can work through? I have been looking through the self paced tutorials and many are way to advanced for students new to OnShape. I am also new to OnShape so I need to do it before they do it as well. 
  • marc_nelson875marc_nelson875 Member Posts: 4 EDU
    edited September 2020
    OnShape's Learning Center is a great place to start, even for beginners.  Here is a brief summary of what I am doing.

I use the Learning Center Self Paced Tutorials and drawings/parts I find in our textbook to reinforce the software skills.   BUT do not start at the top of the list.  Here is a basic outline of my curriculum this year (Covid Remote Instruction Friendly). 
    1. Introduction to Parametric Feature-based CAD  (I include teacher introduction of Onshape, how to navigate and move within the program).
    2. Introduction to Sketching
    3. Teacher supplied 2D Sketching problems (from class textbook), 3-7 parts of varying difficulty.
    4. Introduction to Part Design 
    5. Teacher supplied 3D parts (from class textbook), 3-7 parts of varying difficulty.
    6. Part Design Studios Tutorial 
    7. Design problem using the concepts in the previous tutorials.
    8. Multi-part Studios Tutorial 
    9. Introduction to Assembly Design
    10. OnShape Assemblies
    11. Teacher suppled assembly problems
    12. Introduction to 2D Drawings
    13. Detail Drawings
    14. Teacher supplied parts to make drawings from
    15. Design problems and/or reverse engineering problems.
    All parts in the tutorials are turned in to me (Shared) for assessment.  I note revisions using the comment tool and by making versions when I grade the part.  Then I return them to the students.  In addition to grading for part accuracy, I also consider the method (feature build order).  All parts must be built in correct orientation, reasonably minimal features, no empty sketches or red features, no undefined sketches (exception: construction lines endpoints).  I need incorporate feature re-naming, but I have not done that.  All parts must be named with our class naming format that designates class, student (username), part number and part name.  My upper level classes use sheet metal, surfacing, but also focus on drawing creation using section views, auxiliary views and conventional drawing practices.

I additionally infuse my instruction with CAD skills by introducing the different tutorials and go over best practice for sketching and review tool tips and uses that are not covered in the tutorials.  
    Would you consider having a phone conversation with me? I am trying to navigate all this mess and learn this myself. Let me know your thoughts. 
  • MrSullyMrSully Member Posts: 1 EDU
    I have a few simple video tutorials on Youtube I have made for my students. May be something for you.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqqqH3ocFAgjkt7CUfrNaQ
    MrSully said:
    I have a few simple video tutorials on Youtube I have made for my students. May be something for you.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcqqqH3ocFAgjkt7CUfrNaQ
    Thanks  will bookmark it and have a look at it today!!

• terry_brileyterry_briley Member Posts: 7 EDU

First year using Onshape because of Chromebooks can't use AutoCAD effectively.

Thank you Onshape for your help through these times. In fact I am adapting Onshape into my curriculum after this year.

I assigned my students the two basic modules in the learning center, then moved on to actual drawing projects.

I found the keychain project doing a Google search. The I stumbled across a Youtuber that had 19 more projects. Big help.

I thought at this point that would be enough to keep them busy until Christmas. Nope. some of the over achievers finished up all 20 projects last week. So now I am introducing them to "Templates". They will go back and make a mechanical drawing of all 20 projects now. Then the next step I am going to is to introduce them to assembly drawings. The next step would be animation or that is the direction I am going. Throughout the whole drawing projects i am having them export as a .stl file and then 3D print there parts. The keychain assignment everyone got to 3d print and take home. I am picking 19 students to 3D print the other projects, to save money.

That should be enough to keep a normal student student busy throughout the school year, I would think. But some of my students I may have to do more research to keep them busy. My thoughts were to introduce to CREO since it is the same company. By the end of the year most of the students should be able to design and make there own parts and then 3d print them. To go another step farther you could have them journal their process using the Engineering by Design Process. This would set them up for further knowledge.

My goal would be for them to be able to use all of this to help be on the Robotics team and be a better competitor.

• david_kurtzdavid_kurtz Member Posts: 24 EDU

@jim_reilly I used the Onshape Self-paced courses with my Intro CAD class last spring when our school switched to remote. My students found the tutorials to be straightforward and easy to follow. I assigned 1 or 2 mini lessons for each class (extrude for one day, revolve for another). I would introduce each tool with a few examples of how that tool was useful in part design (How loft makes it easy to design a wing, a vase or a nozzle).

The fact that Onshape works on Chromebooks was huge.

Teams make it very easy to share files, and the comment tool was great for feedback. Really importantly, the design history makes it very hard for students to copy one another's work.

David

• brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Go here on Github (https://github.com/profbrady/Teaching_Onshape) to access the Onshape College Curriculum PDFs and the assignments I have used for my class in the past.

If you are unfamiliar with Github, just click on < >Code to see the folders of files.
  • John_GrangerJohn_Granger Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Please go to https://cadvideotutor.com and check out the tutorials provided with drawings, instructions and step by step videos.  The materials are all project based so the student learn to sketch and model parts, create assemblies and animate them in an easy to follow formate.  Check it out