Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

High School teacher looking for guidance

jim_reillyjim_reilly Member Posts: 3 EDU
I am electrical eng by training but have started teaching an intro to eng high school class. Interested in using onShape to introduce students to using CAD and to create some basic designs that we can later print on our makerbot 3d printer. 

Is there an outline or instructors guide for what online courses to use from onShape and in what order to help give a basic introduction? I am transition to online instruction for my students and this appears to be a good way to introduce cad and 3d design while also introducing a 3d cad tool that is commercially used by many universities and companies.

Thanks an advance for any advice you can offer or links to a syllabus to follow for next week or two.
Regards,
Jim

Comments

• KatieHuffmanKatieHuffman Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 108
    @jim_reilly

Dig into the Learning Center! The content we have is designed for students and professionals alike- its not exactly an instructor guide, but courses your students can do. EDU Onshape subscriptions receive access to all of the self-paced content, technical briefings, and videos in the Learning Center for free.

We have an Introduction to CAD pathway that is geared towards students, learning how to model and design in a parametric feature-based system for the first time. I think this would be a great place to begin to design a curriculum using this content. When a student completes the pathway they receive a Completion Certificate after completing the survey- so you can check to see if they have done it. 

There is also an Instructor community forum- that is a good place to discuss with other instructors curriculum ideas using Onshape. 

I think those are good resources to get started! Let us know how else we can help!
  • john_kraljicjohn_kraljic Member Posts: 2 EDU
    Although I've used OnShape with my FIRST Robotics Team for a couple of years, I am just now attempting to introduce OnShape to a group of freshmen via teaching from home.  From a nuts and bolts, getting started perspective, I've found How To Set Up Your OnShape Classroom  useful and OnShape.com - Getting Started.  Tomorrow I'll find out how well they did with their first part.
    Good luck,
    -John