Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What are assembly Items?

alan_baljeualan_baljeu Member, User Group Leader Posts: 111 ✭✭
It always shows > Items (0) in every example I've seen.    What is this for?

Creating knowledge-driven design automation software, for molds, etc.
www.virtualmold.com

Best Answer

Answers

• tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @jakeramsley - what does "applied to instances" do exactly? It sounds like you're referring to the "reference" input option when adding an item. I've seen this option when adding items to an assembly, but can't figure out what it does or why I would want to do it. Does it change something in the BOM? Drawings? Properties? 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I think reference is for future use. I think I heard something about allowing ballooning or something. Doesn't seem to do much now
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @john_mcclary - That's what I expected, but I've seen it come up a couple times here with no explanation, so I've been left wondering if everybody else knows something that I don't know. 
  • TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    edited October 2020
    @john_mcclary - That's what I expected, but I've seen it come up a couple times here with no explanation, so I've been left wondering if everybody else knows something that I don't know. 
    Items allow you to reference a specific face on a part and currently we do not support any note/callout/balloon references to faces in drawings. If you do apply the reference now then you will be well setup to take advantage in the future when/if we release tagging on faces in drawings :smile:
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    That's what I thought I remembered. But I don't feel comfortable applying settings until I 've seen them in action. So I'll continue ignoring this option for now  :)