Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Extruding only area created by two shapes intersecting

chris_hardakerchris_hardaker Member Posts: 6
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ac9de821876ab118063dcdd9/w/cfc3c8a96bd23555590d4e93/e/fcdd83a91d5ce80beecedefa

I am trying an art project. It is based upon a 2d art piece, however I am experimenting with making it 3d.

The end result is that I want to extrude a number of areas to different heights, however the areas are formed by the intersection of two sketched shapes. For example, if I partially overlap a circle with a rectangle, I end up with three areas, being the one intersecting area and the two non-intersecting area. How do I extrude the intersecting area by 5mm, the rectangle non-intersecting area by 2mm, and the circle non-intersecting by 3.5mm?

If I extrude the rectangle by 2mm, and then the circle by 3.5mm, this works, however the intersection area is not available to be extruded.

Comments

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    edited November 2020
    To intersect overlapping areas like in a venn diagram, you need to make all of the sketch entities in the same sketch. Then, you can extrude each one to any height.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @chris_hardaker not sure what is raised at the different levels.  You have many rectangles next to each other and several circles. Are you going for every other one or something else?

@alnis_smidchens
    is correct on the best solution may be to make all the sketch entities that will be regions on the same sketch.  However, that is sometimes problematic with as many entities as you have.

Here is another approach using split, move face, and boolean.  Again, I do not know what you are after completely but this may be a way to get there.

I suggest simplifying until you get the strategy worked out.  Sometimes things bite you and better to find out what works before you put all the detail in.

www.accuratepattern.com