Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trying to form a helix on a circular profile that is swept on a 3D spline

doug_curtisdoug_curtis Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I am doubting this is possible without a LOT of special head standing operations that are probably outside my pay grade but,

I am wanting to make a Helix that follows a swept circular profile that follows the path of a 3D spline.

To understand why, I am trying to make a feature to represent a knot that is tied with vintage style fabric covered twisted lamp wires.  I can make the straight portion no problem but making it curved in 3 dimensions seems like it might not be doable.  I can make a single wire version bu just making the 3D spline and sweeping my profile along that (though even that is tedious) and I suppose if I was REAL good, I could make a pair of 3D splines that are twisting around each other while at the same time following a path to form a knot.  But, I am not that good.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

D

Comments