Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Imported assy's component order comes in backwards on tree

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
Hello, I'm in the process of evaluating changing my company from Creo to Onshape. I exported the top level assy from creo as a STEP (parasolid had errors), and imported into Onshape. Everything works as expected, except the order of the components (parts) are backwards. Below see my screenshot of Creo (correct), Onshape (incorrect), and Fusion360 (correct). Does anyone know how to fix this without manually rearranging things? This screenshot only shows 5 sub-assy's, but inside each sub, are many, many, more subs and individual components. They are all backwards.

Also while here, is there a way to add columns to the onshape tree like you can in Creo?

I searched for both questions and didn't find anything. I also did a lot of the tutorials over the past two weeks and didn't see anything.

Thank you!

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    I am not sure why they are coming in backwards, can't say I ever noticed. Assembly order is not important, but if it is a concern the only option here would be to manually reorder. And no, there is no option to add columns.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

Answer ✓
    I am not sure why they are coming in backwards, can't say I ever noticed. Assembly order is not important, but if it is a concern the only option here would be to manually reorder. And no, there is no option to add columns.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
    Thank you for the answer.
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    @NeilCooke ,

What do you mean "assembly order is not important"? To me this is an essential tool. I've used the assembly feature tree in Pro/E and Solidworks for years to show the order of the physical assembly. This is not a random thing - it carries a lot of meaning and information.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Yea assemblies always come in backwards for me too, I've even had it ignore entire assembly structure on half a machine. Like the importer just gave up and started spitting out all the parts as a big assembly.

Assembly order is important, especially if you want to use the BOM...
    @S1mon I’m referring to how Onshape deals with the data. Order is important for the BOM only.