Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

List of Math Operations

Is there a list of valid math expressions and operation such as cos( ), log( ), abs( ), etcetera?

Best Answer

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Yes, please see the FeatureScript documentation under the help menu. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • michael_mcdonald047michael_mcdonald047 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Thanks abefeldman, I was a little surprised to not see a div operation but see now I can just nest a '/' inside a floor() to obtain an equivalent result.  Whereas div(a,b) or (a div b) = floor(a / b).
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @michael_mcdonald047, be careful. I suspect A div B = floor(A/B) only when A/B is positive. Case in point, 5 div -2 = -2, but I believe floor(5/-2) = -3. If there was a SIGN function you could use sign(A/B)*floor(abs(A/B)). But as far as I can tell, there is no sign function. You could substitute sign(X)=X/abs(X).
  • mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you can use an inline "if".

AdivB = (A/B>= 0) ? floor(A/B) : ceil(A/B)
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Hi, How do I square a config variable in a numeric field? (not a feature script)  I'm trying to get the hypotenuse length given #rise & #run for an array feature in a part studio. I would guess sqrt(#rise^2+#run^2) but that didn't work.  Realised I didn't know how to square a number! None of following worked: #run^2    #run*#run   #run.#run. 

Had a quick look at the Feature Script documentation but not sure which part is relevant.

Found the following but can't see a square function anywhere.

https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/tech-tip-using-numeric-fields

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 656 PRO
    You may also be running into a problem with units: your #rise variable includes mm as units. If you square that, you get mm*mm (which expresses an area, not a linear dimension). The part pattern is looking for a linear distance (only mm, not mm*mm).

You can divide by mm in your expression to cancel the units ((#rise/mm)*(#rise/mm)) which will give you a numerical value, that will get interpreted as a linear dimension (a "length") which is what the Pattern is looking for.

You could also change your Variables to be unitless - then this wouldn't be an issue.

Hope that helps!
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    sqrt(#rise^2+#run^2) should work if #rise and #run are both lengths.  Please post a link to a version of your document where this expression isn't working and I or someone here will be able to tell you what's wrong.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc