Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Forcing point-to-point dimension to be aligned rather than horizontal/vertical

alan_buddenalan_budden Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I'm trying to create a drawing of an object I've modelled.  One of the key dimensions is the distance between two points along the angle that joins them.  I can't use the dimensions of the line joining them as there's a cut-out that splits this line.  If I try to do a point-to-point dimension in the drawing, it wants that dimension to be either the horizontal or vertical distance.  I don't want this, I want the aligned distance.

As a test, I made a very simple model that (I think) shows what I'm trying to do.  Here's a screenshot of the drawing:

What I want it to look like is this (created with an image editor, not onshape!):

Is this possible?  I found this question on this forum, which makes it look easy, but I can't figure out how to make it actually work with my models.

Test model is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4139e053de38affdffc7f670/w/24168f2e4bd934650d5b95d4/e/63356c08b37bf47fb71b3269

Best Answer

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Answer ✓
    To get the point to point dimension to use the minimum distance between the points, drag your cursor far off in the direction perpendicular to the line between the two points.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Yes that is possible although esoteric it is easy.  With things like this knowing it works is most of the battle; then with persistent trial you can figure out how.

See the gif below.  It has to do with where you are dragging the location cursor after choosing the points.

www.accuratepattern.com
    Good Morning @MichaelPascoe!   :D
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • alan_buddenalan_budden Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    To get the point to point dimension to use the minimum distance between the points, drag your cursor far off in the direction perpendicular to the line between the two points.

That's great, thank you.  I'd been moving the cursor around near the corners of the line and along the length of the line it wouldn't switch - moving the cursor further away indeed sorted it out.

Thank you again!
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited January 2021
    Happy to help @alan_budden

Morning @bruce_williams!

I win ;)  :D 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    touche!  

in my defense, I was looking up the word esoteric.
    www.accuratepattern.com