Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to select entities drawn on top of an imge

ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Hi, I have a drawing with an image (that I'm tracing) but I can't select multiple lines (or anything else) with the usual click and drag method, as it seems to think I want to select the image. How do I use click and drag to select entities drawn over the to of an image?
Thanks, Ian

Best Answer

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi @ian_harris952

What is likely happening, is you are interacting with the rectangle that is used to place & size the image.

It is best practice to add your image to its own sketch.  Then do the 'tracing' on a second sketch.  The tools should work fine then. 
    www.accuratepattern.com

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Hi @ian_harris952

What is likely happening, is you are interacting with the rectangle that is used to place & size the image.

It is best practice to add your image to its own sketch.  Then do the 'tracing' on a second sketch.  The tools should work fine then. 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    ian_harris952ian_harris952 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the reply, and the tip. Sounds like a simple solution and I will give it a shot.
    You are correct, every time I tried to click and drag OS thinks I am clicking the image as that is all that is under the cursor. I was hoping there would be some setting or something for the image that said "don't select me" or something, or some way to exclude it from the click and drag selection process. But I guess not really necessary if the image is in a different sketch!

;-) Ian
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    If the image is in a different sketch, as @bruce_williams suggests, you can easily hide the sketch too, while you're working with other geometry. Of course if it's in a different sketch, it won't interfere with your selections.