Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Very simple pattern takes forever

rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
Hi, Years ago I ran into the problem of patterning a sketch and it took forever. The advice was to pattern a part
Now I try to make a 20x20 pattern and the performance is really slow. Is that normal?
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77132658b0c906c0b466bc80/w/4c5f7891b0e3bb4b1df4bda5/e/66c031ac896c70b237872a08
The regeneration time is about 
3 minutes. It it a local machine problem or on the server side?
Tagged:

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    I am seeing 25s here:

Regeneration is all server side, so check the values again. 

Anyway for things like this, it is the boolean operation that takes the time. Please review my blog post to see some techniques for speeding things up: https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/tech-tip-how-to-create-faster-patterns-in-onshape
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

I'm sure I could make it faster
    OK I was looking at the wrong Part Studio, but even so, the techniques are the same
  • rune_thorsen229rune_thorsen229 Member Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Thanks @NeilCooke, so my 188 seconds of regeneration time was maybe because the server had a busy day? Today it gives 41 seconds if I change the tilecount from 20 to 22. Mind you if you don't change the parameters it obviously regenerates much faster. Well I did check the blog but cant see how to speed it up.  

If I skip the boolean cutout it gives 39 seconds.
    If I try to make 100 tiles I think I should go for lunch ;-)