Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Auto Layout updated to V3.1: oriented parts!

lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
Added an option per some forum requests to allow specified orientation of parts.  Parts will still need to be of equal thickness, but for all parts of a given thickness selecting a face as a "face to orient" will ensure that face is nested facing downwards, allowing for 2.5- or 3-axis machining on a router. All parts without a selected face to orient will be nested with the largest face down. This is a slight modification from the previous operation of this feature to facilitate use without too many manual selections when making routed parts.  If the largest-face-upwards functionality is critical you may wish to keep this feature at its previous version.

Also fixed a small bug in the bin-packing algorithm, which in certain unfortunate combinations of parts could lead to part spacing constraints being violated.

Find it here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/576e01dbe4b0cc2e7f46a55d/v/731e73ac0b7b1e4334f13106/e/b72c231628b5affea0873222
Arul Suresh
PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University

Comments

• Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    @lemon1324 this is great! Thanks for posting!. All of this is far beyond my FS capabilities, but how tricky would it be to add a control for grain direction? The ability to rotate selected parts 90 degrees (or perhaps an arbitrary angle) would be amazing.
  • lemon1324lemon1324 Member, Developers Posts: 223 EDU
    Should be pretty straightforward, actually.

I'm currently working on a different joint script, but I'll add this to the list of improvements to make eventually.
    Arul Suresh
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Thank you Mr Suresh! Adding grain direction control on a "per-part" basis would be a fantastic addition! Thanks again for sharing this very useful FS.
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Legit!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • 3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Such a great update. Assigning oriented faces saves lives   o:)
    Grain direction feature could be excellent. Maybe direction of grain could be determined by selecting edges of parts
  • david_lang457david_lang457 Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    can you add an option to not put a kerf around the outside of the part?
    example, a part that's 3/4"x3/4" will not fit in a piece of stock that's 3/4x3/4x120
    Currently pretty busy with personal stuff, but I'll take a look when I can. I'm pretty sure the current bin-packing algorithm doesn't flag which bins are/aren't on the edge of the stock though so I'm pretty sure this won't be a simple fix. The easiest way to fix this might just be to internally make the "stock" bigger by 2x the kerf and then offset the final result so it's still aligned to the coordinate axes.  If that approach works that's probably the easiest workaround, just do that manually.
    Arul Suresh
    That's what I did for the workaround, but I figured I'd mention the issue.
    I also wasn't able to figure out how to put a face down. I have a L shaped piece with the outside corner of the L rounded, and it assembles them into sticks in random orientations (based on where they started). When I hit the checkbox to pick a face for the orientation, it opened up a selection box, but then I was unable to select anything.

Not at all critical for me (purely cosmetic in this case), but letting you know of an issue I ran in to.
    Can you share a minimal example document mith me that illustrates the selection problem?  I have a test case for making sure that functionality works and it seems to work fine on my test case.
    Arul Suresh
    Seems to work fine for me - are you sure you're selecting faces on the pre-laid out parts? Onshape by default shows the result of the feature in 50% transparency, but those entities can't be selected.
    Arul Suresh
    Thanks,

That was what I was missing, I was trying to click on the faces of the parts as they were arranged. for something like the corner molding of this example, it's hard to know which direction it's going to end up being rotated (yes, that face will be down, but since it's not symmetrical when you flip it around 180 on the rod...)

so I was able to get one side down, now I'll go back and see if I can figure out which part is which to select a different face (and if it remains consistent or not over time and new parts)
  • matt_anderson178matt_anderson178 Member Posts: 9
    I am curious if there is a way to make this a little more compact? as you can see with the Auto layout that if I wanted to water jet these out of a 3'x8' sheet that two sheets are layed out, but obviously if I could shift some down you could fit it in one.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f4173732c559f48d07645bdb/w/b7273cd4b0e02c93624d1f3f/e/aa9a35b9c41f56c8c476cba8