Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What K Factor should I use for modeling 304 SS at .048" thick , 1/4 hard ?

Modeling up my first stainless steel parts, as I usually only use mild steel. need some help on a place to start with the bend allowance calcs.

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 802 PRO
    Sadly this is extremely dependent on bending process, die opening, punch radius and the speed the machine performs the bend. You will have to perform some test bends to calculate this. I have a Google sheet I can share with you if you would like. You cut 3 samples any size. You input the flat size of each piece. Then you bend each piece to 90 degree. Then you input the actual formed inner radius and the length of each side for each piece after bending. The sheet then spits out your kfactor. I usually print out a true scale drawing of many inner radius samples incrementing every 0.005in to use as a comparator to measure the true formed inner radius. The inner radius is generally always slightly larger then the punches radius.
  • Options
    Thank you Shawn for your reply.  My potential project for this Stainless is still lingering, but hasn't released yet for prototype. I will definitely take your advice to the drawing table and shop floor when we get to that point.