Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Start of sweep along helix

gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
edited June 2021 in Community Support
I have a rectangle in a sketch, and an helix to sweep along.

When the helix has three rotations, it works as I expect:

You can see the sketch, and that the part starts there and goes on following the helix.

If I modify the helix to make four turns, the start position of the part is *above* the sketch:

What is going on? How can I keep in control of the sweep's start position?

Here is the model: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/67fb028a75ce82f860b6a0af/w/67a2efe8ba077c46e15dd6af/e/3523f2ce85349cc194eefe20
Tagged:

Best Answer

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    @gauthier_östervall

I guess the reasoning is —

A profile does not have to be placed at one of the ends of the path. It can be anywhere along a sweep. 

Apparently, the program keeps it simple in making the sweep according to the closest part of the profile to the path

Answers

• Jenny_JohnsonJenny_Johnson Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 9
    Interesting - I tried to constrain it a few different ways with no luck - seems to not like a cylinder height below 28.25mm....  can you change the helix and path to actually touch - that will typically perform better
    Jenny E Johnson
    Principal Technical Services Engineer, Onshape
    jjohnson@ptc.com
  • gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    With the face not touching (I guess you meant the *face* and the path), but connected to the path with a line, the sweep starts to behave.

Weird...
    @gauthier_östervall

Is this the way you were hoping it would work ?

Because if I’m understanding you, it seems like it’s working OK on my mobile iPhone app

@steve_shubin Sorry, I modified the hole profile to test Jenny's suggestion. Document now showing the defect again.
    edited June 2021
    See below

@steve_shubin Sorry, I don't get it. The unexpected move of the start does not change shape the part, only it's placement. If it isn't self-intersecting by moving it one turn up, it wouldn't be either if starting at the right place?
    @gauthier_östervall

looks like it has to do with what part of the profile is closest to any part of the helix

Yeah, I think you got it! This is not the behavior I expect.
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    @gauthier_östervall

I guess the reasoning is —

A profile does not have to be placed at one of the ends of the path. It can be anywhere along a sweep. 

Apparently, the program keeps it simple in making the sweep according to the closest part of the profile to the path