Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Custom Feature: Wire Mesh

NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
This feature simulates wire meshing by creating a grid of curves on a planar face - useful for creating machine guards or similar.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/812383b6012526bce6bdfff9

Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Comments

• mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Deleted. Replied to wrong post. Nice feature, though.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We use a tight wire mesh behind pressed louvers to prevent insects from entering. Great custom feature.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,894 PRO
    Oh nice!
  • alex_lynch031alex_lynch031 Member Posts: 1
    How would I use this to make a net like you had in the example file?
  • Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    edited March 2021
    @alex_lynch031, if you're trying to figure out how to add Neil's FeatureScript to your toolbar so you can use it for one of your own projects, see "Steps: Custom features defined in other documents" here. Note that you don't need to make a copy of Neil's document (or even have it open) to add his feature to your toolbar and use it in your projects. Once you've added the net FS to your toolbar, it will be available under the custom feature dropdown in your toolbar inside any part studio you can edit, and you can use it just like you use any other Onshape feature.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• Dylan_LamrockDylan_Lamrock Member Posts: 1
    @NeilCooke
    This is a great feature script thanks so much.
    I was wondering how difficult it would be to add a height control as well as a width control to the mesh?
    I have been trying to model meshes with different constraints for a while i.e a mesh with 37mm width and 17mm height eyelet openings made from an expanded sheet metal.
    Cheers
  • SmileySmiley Member Posts: 2
    One question and two suggestions.  First, is this printable?  When I use it, I cannot get a valid stl saved.  Second, can I recommend two additions; a way to change the "wire" thickness, and the second is to add the outline of the sketch to the grid as a border.  Basically, I am trying to print the mesh and use it in one of my parts but I am running into a road block.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,354
    @Smiley it is curves only, specifically created to avoid making 3d sweeps which are very "heavy"
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI