Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - September 14th, 2021

mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
edited September 2021 in New in Onshape
We are in the middle of September and this release extends across all areas of Onshape! Let’s have a look!

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

CREATE FOLDERS IN THE INSTANCE LIST

To get a better overview and structure in the instances list, instances can be packed into folders to hide, suppress or delete these instances collectively. Suppression of folders in assemblies can also be configured to allow quick and easy suppression of instances.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/dce9ru2xv6?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

ADDING LABELS WHEN CREATING A NEW DOCUMENT

Labels can now be added directly when creating a document. As usual, you can also add or remove labels from existing documents later on.

CAD IMPROVEMENTS

REPLICATE USING A SLOT

The Replicate feature now supports the ability to replicate parts created using a “Slot”.

RULED SURFACE

A new feature called Ruled Surface was added to Part Studios. The Ruled Surface Feature creates a new or additional ruled surface from an existing edge or multiple edges of a part, surface or sketch region. For more detailed information please check out the help documentation here.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/jrbizh4l3k?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

CENTERMARK APPEARANCE

In the Drawing Properties fly-out menu there is now an option to customise the appearance of Centermarks. There are options for adding extended lines and for changing the line width, mark size, gap size, and color. The set values can be saved with drawing templates.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/mpy0ak25st?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

DIMENSION CONJUGATE ANGLES USING LINE TO LINE ANGULAR DIMENSION TOOL

You can now dimension the conjugate angle (360 degrees minus the measured angle) using the line to line angular dimension tool. For standard angular dimensioning, the Standard Dimension feature can still be used.

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

ALLOW USERS TO MANAGE ITEMS

Admins of Professional and Enterprise Accounts can now allow individual members to manage non-geometric items. This option is located in Global permissions for Enterprise admins, and Company settings > Preferences for Professional admins.

ALLOW COMPANY ADMINS TO ENABLE RE-RELEASE OPTION

Administrators can now enable an option on obsoletions to mark the obsolete revision as re-releasable. This option can correct situations where the creator of the release forgot to mark the revision as re-releasable.

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

USER ACTIVITY AUDIT TRAIL DASHBOARD

In Analytics, you’ll now find a User Activity Audit Trail report. This report shows all system level action performed by users, such as: adding new users, creating projects, and signing in.

EVENTS FOR ENTERPRISE SSO/2FA CHANGE

If you are signed in as an Enterprise Admin, you now have the option in the User Activity Audit Trail Dashboard to display the events “Enable or disable 2-Factor-Authentication policy” or “Enable or disable Single Sign On policy”. So an audit trail can be generated and downloaded that shows when these security policies were activated or deactivated for your Enterprise.

PROJECT FILTER ADDED TO RELEASE DASHBOARDS

In Analytics, a new option to filter for projects has been added to the Release Management dashboards.

ADDITIONAL COPY INFORMATION FOR IP TRACKING DASHBOARD

In the Dashboard for IP Tracking you will see a new column showing if a document was copied. This can be very useful to track if and when a document has been copied and who copied it to protect intellectual property by companies.

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

GRID VIEW FOR IOS DEVICES

On iOS devices, there is a new "Grid View" display option in the documents list which will display the document as titles, similar to the grid view in the web browser.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

NEW CLASS: TEACHING A CLASS IN ONSHAPE

This course explains tools, tips, and best practices for educators to use Onshape in the classroom. Check out the new course here.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments on the Onshape Forum. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the https://www.onshape.com/changelog changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Onshape Documents and over the next few days these features will also be available in Documents created before the date of this update.

Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    edited September 2021
    Nice improvements, these look great! Ruled surface will be a time saver.

Thanks Onshape team!

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • sam_hollandsam_holland Member Posts: 20 PRO
    Huge updates! Love ruled surfaces and folders 
    Thanks guys!
  • werty_werty364werty_werty364 Member Posts: 3
    Ruled Surface, вы покорили мое сердце!!!!!!!!! Это просто чудо, как хорошо что вы не отстаете от продвинутых САПР
  • marco_caron170marco_caron170 Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Finally i can bunch all my fasteners in a folder !
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Nice update!

But... the lines of the sketch rectangle icons are gone with me.

Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Brian_TracyBrian_Tracy Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 2
    The folders in the instance list is very nice. I have seen some crazy long lists that could use organization.
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100
    steven_elliott555 said:

Is the improvement request forum still considered the best place for users to upvote ideas?

Yes, the improvement request forum is the best place - I can assure you it is monitored and tracked by Onshapers  (especially) including those of us involved in the planning and prioritization of future developments.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    guy_rogel said:
    255 users have been asking for over 2 years to have the option to draw external threads so they can make a simple screw drawing which is still not possible in OS, and you are dealing with the center marks colors.....I think somthing is wrong with your priorities 

@guy_rogel has a good point.  The improvement request forum page was created to allow users to voice opportunities for improvement and allow others to vote them up.  Many of the top 10 open items have been on this page for 2+ years (see attached image)

My organization has been asking for 3+ years on more sheet metal features and since then we have gotten hems & flipping the flat pattern.  3yrs of our patience is starting to running out.

Is the improvement request forum still considered the best place for users to upvote ideas?

I wasn't saying he was wrong for calling them out :) Just that it wasn't impossible to do the task.

Yes, I too am on the waiting list for cosmetic threads and many of the old requests you show above.
    But hey, they finally got to one of those top requests at least :)

The best place it seems for improvement requests is:
    - Own a pro account
    - Vote on the forum IRs
    - Submit Tickets with support
    - Talk to your Onshape rep

One of those feature requests above was started by an Onshape developer. So it must be one of the best places to put in requests.
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice update!!!
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xclX77Jvlw
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    A strong update. Tree folders look great; can't wait to start organising. @Henk_de_Vlaam I have exactly the same issue as you on my workstation. I see no edges on the rectangle buttons in the part studio sketcher. But weirdly, it displays as normal on my laptop...

• Eleanor_CoffinEleanor_Coffin Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Nice update!

But... the lines of the sketch rectangle icons are gone with me.

This started happening for me too, along with a couple more buttons. I use Onshape in Chrome at 90% zoom, and when I go back to 100% they appear again. (But I've still been working in 90%.)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Confirmed, even in Edge when you zoom to 90% or less it disappears
  • Eleanor_CoffinEleanor_Coffin Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Firefox doesn't display the same behavior, interestingly. The other buttons that have changed for me are the Projected View button and Sheets tab icon.
  • Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    Strange. With the same settings they are suddenly back with me on my laptop. And I cannot get lost of them anymore ;)
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Firefox doesn't display the same behavior, interestingly. The other buttons that have changed for me are the Projected View button and Sheets tab icon.
    Unless things have changed recently, Edge and Chrome both use Chromium's Blink rendering engine, while Firefox uses their own Gecko rendering engine which is why they have the different behaviors that they do.  What it looks like is that a combination of a computer's/display's resolution, the device pixel ration, and the zoom state of the browser is causing some icons to go subpixel and there is a behavior difference in how Blink is rendering them.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For ruled surface would be nice to have "up to body/ surface" end condition
  • devin_johnson79devin_johnson79 Member Posts: 12 PRO
    Folders in the Instance list is a game changer! Well done Team. These are valuable changes. 
  • CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    I've never seen centermarks look like this. Should there not always be a cross in the middle and the line font should be the same as centerline? 
  • gerhard_swanepoelgerhard_swanepoel Member Posts: 29 PRO
    Some nifty improvements. Thumbs up replicate on slots and ruled surfaces.