Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

line break in string?

Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
how do I add a line break to a string in FS? Is there a place I can go to see all of the formatting options available?
Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Best Answers

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    \n
    println("Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,\nOver many a quaint...");
  • Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Answer ✓
    reportFeatureInfo and reportFeatureWarning messages don't handle line breaks and other methods of formatting like \b (for bold). On the other hand, it is possible to use template strings to display units properly, but that doesn't really help a whole lot with your use case.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

Answers

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    \n
    println("Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,\nOver many a quaint...");
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    ah! I had a backslash not forward. Thanks!
    hmm I thought that would solve it, but I'm still getting something else wrong. Here's what I'm trying to do, but it's still all one line:
    reportFeatureInfo(context, id, toString(roundToPrecision(wrapCount, 3) ~ " wraps. \n" ~ toString(roundToPrecision(wrappedDiameter/inch, 3) ~ " in wrapped diameter.")));

Answer ✓
    reportFeatureInfo and reportFeatureWarning messages don't handle line breaks and other methods of formatting like \b (for bold). On the other hand, it is possible to use template strings to display units properly, but that doesn't really help a whole lot with your use case.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu

Didn't know about template strings. Thanks, Alex! I feel as though I've seen features with line breaks in the reportFeatureInfo(), but it was a while ago and maybe that's changed. I think it's nice to have the option to format those.
    @Alex_Kempen
    I'm trying to implement the templateString, but it doesn't seem to respect the document units. I'm still getting meters. This is the code and result. Any ideas?
            var wrappedDiaString = templateString({'template' : '#dia#  wrapped diameter.', 'dia' : wrappedDiameter});

// creating the messages
            reportFeatureInfo(context, id, toString(roundToPrecision(wrapCount, 3) ~ " wraps. " ~ toString(wrappedDiaString)));

• ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Sorry, TemplateString is for tables only.  And in any case, as soon as you call toString on it, it becomes a plain old string.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Yeah, @ilya_baran is right. I guess I saw someone using template strings to format output once and assumed it worked without personally trying it.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu

Got it. So is the best way to display valueWithUnits in a human way to just divide the value by whatever units I want to display and round it?
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
    Thanks, Ilya
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    I suppose if you really want to have error info to sift through you could throw out some println() or debug statements to neatly display the information you want. However since this display in the FeatureScript notices panel it's really more useful for the dev as opposed to the user, which it looks like is your target with this error message.   
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
    Yep. this is meant to be user-facing. We're working on a fabric that wraps around a spindle and I'm calculating how many rotations a given length of fabric takes to roll up and the diameter of the final spooled fabric. I'm using FS to do some calculations since it sounded easier to me than trying to set up a spreadsheet for it, and it's nice to have it right in Onshape where we're working. I'm not actually using the feature for modeling or setting variables.