Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Animated Assembly Documentation

I am hoping to create an animated assembly video to show how an assembly will go together, such as seen in this YouTube video https://youtu.be/1dZzA1jBHTA  Is there documentation in the Learning Center to show how to do this?  I assume it is more than simply setting artificial limits on the motion and then animating this?  Thanks!
Tagged:

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,310
    Answer ✓
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    edited December 2020
    You can only animate one mate at a time
    So there are a few things you could do. 

Animate each part one at a time and edit the mouse clicks out of the video. 

Or You can make a bunch of slider mates then connect the slider mates with linear relations and varying ratios.
    Then the whole thing will explode smoothly but all at once.

Or you can do the rubiks animation trick... 
    One of these days I will find time to make a short video explaining the basics of it
    Answer ✓
  • elizabeth_giovanardielizabeth_giovanardi Member Posts: 16 EDU
    NeilCooke said:
    I am interested in learning more about Cadasio, but can you tell me if the video tools I'm hoping to find are part of the free subscription level?  Or perhaps it is free to educational Onshape accounts?
    You can create a free account with limited projects, which may be enough for you, but I don't know about EDU usage. You can contact their support athttps://www.cadasio.com/contact-us.html
  • elizabeth_giovanardielizabeth_giovanardi Member Posts: 16 EDU
    That app is incredible!  It's easy and free to use - much better than I was even asking for!