Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Selecting named positions in drawings.

3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
Does this functionality not actually work in drawings?

I've searched around the forums and it seems that it doesn't.

I have an assembly that has Named positions. Whenever I select a different position in the assembly and update the drawing, all of the views show the selected named position, so I can conclude that information about it has reached the drawing. However, I need different named positions for different views. The named positions I have in the assembly do not show up in the Explode/Position drop-down menu.

Best Answer

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 518
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    @3d.2 I've created a ticket for you and placed you on the improvement needed.

We need to do more work to translate assembly named positions into what is needed for drawing views. The workaround for now is to make your named position active and then start an explode from it without adding any explode steps.  Then reference that explode view in your drawing.  

Answers

edited November 2021 Answer ✓

We need to do more work to translate assembly named positions into what is needed for drawing views. The workaround for now is to make your named position active and then start an explode from it without adding any explode steps.  Then reference that explode view in your drawing.  
  • 3d.23d.2 Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Thank you, that serves the function just fine. :)
  • yvan_grumeauyvan_grumeau Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Hi, @PeteYodis could you please give the link to the ticket you created? I would like to upvote it as I'm really looking forward to having this feature.
    @yvan_grumeau I created a support ticket for you.  As a paying customer you can always reach out to us under the help menu and request functionality through a support ticket.  The forums are another way we have for everyone but the ticket is more of a direct line for you.  
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    PeteYodis said:

I had no idea this was possible by using an empty exploded view.  Thanks!
    @shawn_crocker Hopefully this is just a more temporary workaround.