Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to...Make Smart Parts…in Onshape

Hello,
Just ran across this video https://youtu.be/CaByHbnWLM0

I know that there won't be a 1:1 feature comparison but I know that Onshape can do this! But how?

We only talking about the workflow from time marker :20 to 7:40

Best Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You could create a configuration (a checkbox would work) of the hardware that includes solid "extrusions" representing the screw holes and switch your hardware to be in this config, 
    Then you can create a context and use a boolean to cut these holes in your parts. A bit more manual but would still be reasonably quick...
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    Answer ✓
    For this specific instance, it's definitely possible to create a custom feature that brings in a configuration, transforms the derived config to a hole/position on the cabinet, then booleans a "boolean tool" that exists in the configuration. You can imagine also making a more generic custom feature that allows you to browse a parts library of configurations built specifically to work with this custom feature and have the feature work a little differently depending on the configuration used, like one use case for bringing in bore lining, another for screws, etc.  We actually do this with some of our custom features (I create proprietary custom features for a cabinet manufacturing company) and have found it to work really well.

@MichaelPascoe I would definitely love to see what cabinetry custom features you would cook up. Heck, I'd love to collab with you on some of those. So far we have 70+ cabinetry custom features made and have plenty more in the works. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,695 PRO
    Part studios can be configured, inserted into assemblies, derived into another studio, and more. Here is a great place to learn what you can do in Onshape: Onshape Learning Center

Do you have a more specific example of what you are trying to do? 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • troy_ostrandertroy_ostrander Member Posts: 21
    Hi, We make cabinets and a large assembly of the cabinets can have hundreds of 3d hardware parts from our supplies. As shown in the video we are looking for the easiest way possible…
    1. To constrain the hardware to the cabinet. 
    2. Add additional geometry to the hardware models that represent the cutting of the hardware into the cabinets. (Think pilot holes for screws and space for the hardware itself)
    3. automate this “cutting” of the hardware into the cabinets.

A good example would be a cup hinge. 
    edited January 2022
    Here is a Modular Cabinet model that I created a long time ago, so it is slow, but it gets the point across.
    Assemblies would not work well for this back in the day, but perhaps enough improvements have been made so that they will work for this flow now. If I were to do this today, I would build several custom features to quickly build cabinets and attach the hardware.

I have thought about making a suite of custom features for cabinets. I'm not sure enough people would use it.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,461 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You could create a configuration (a checkbox would work) of the hardware that includes solid "extrusions" representing the screw holes and switch your hardware to be in this config, 
    Then you can create a context and use a boolean to cut these holes in your parts. A bit more manual but would still be reasonably quick...
  • chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 130 PRO
    Answer ✓
    For this specific instance, it's definitely possible to create a custom feature that brings in a configuration, transforms the derived config to a hole/position on the cabinet, then booleans a "boolean tool" that exists in the configuration. You can imagine also making a more generic custom feature that allows you to browse a parts library of configurations built specifically to work with this custom feature and have the feature work a little differently depending on the configuration used, like one use case for bringing in bore lining, another for screws, etc.  We actually do this with some of our custom features (I create proprietary custom features for a cabinet manufacturing company) and have found it to work really well.

@MichaelPascoe I would definitely love to see what cabinetry custom features you would cook up. Heck, I'd love to collab with you on some of those. So far we have 70+ cabinetry custom features made and have plenty more in the works. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
    @chadstoltzfus
    One of the things I liked most about your cabinet features was that they save all of the data for lists to be generated.

• troy_ostrandertroy_ostrander Member Posts: 21
    Eureka! Thanks to @MichaelPascoe and Modular Cabinet.  Here is a one way to make it happen in Onshape....