Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Modular Cabinet Model & List of Helpful Custom Features

Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 217 PRO
edited July 6 in General

Modular Cabinet

This project is still in progress, it is complete enough to introduce to those who may want it.

Summary

The modular cabinet has been configured to be many different types of cabinets. As you import the cabinet into your document, you choose the attributes that you want your cabinet to have. This document has been created to cut down on modeling time for standard cabinetry. Please note there are many bugs in the current version of the Modular Cabinet.

Highlights

• Direct Import - Model can be directly derived into other documents without having to copy the document to make changes, configurations can be selected on the spot when you are deriving the cabinet.
  • Flatten Parts for Machining - If selected, cabinet will flatten, organize, and name all of its parts for machining. If the document you import to is configured correctly, the room of cabinets will automatically organize themselves for you.
  • Project Variables - Document wide variables allows you to save your standard dimensions in one place and use them in different studios across the document.

Alternate Versions

Originally we created a standard set of cabinet studios based on 2D sketches. Using this method, the sketches could be exported as dxf files and directly imported into our CAM software for programming. This method was great for exporting, but limited to changes and had almost no configurations.

Attempt 2, we created a standard set of cabinet studios based on 3D models. This method allowed us to change the model and add too it, but was not as good for exporting.

Attempt 3 involved a single model with one large configuration table. This method could do most of the things the current method can do. Due to the poor configuration, the studio became too cumbersome and would take too long for derivations.

Attempt 4 used assemblies and sub assemblies. This would be the most efficient way to do this, however there were issues with automatically updating assemblies and configured assemblies inside of drawings.

Attempt 5 is the current attempt and it is mostly functional.
Ways it could be better:
- Instead of many of configured features, use variables and logic variables to control a few number of sketches. This should increase the calculation efficiency.
- Use logic variables to suppress features. Currently, it is not possible to suppress features by variables. The Modular Cabinet has many features that are used by multiple configurations which means one configured suppression will not work. If the suppression could be controlled by variables, 1's & 0's, one suppression could be controlled by many different configurations.

We would like the next version to incorporate the instantiator by @Ilya_Baran. The cabinet would most likely be split into quadrants. Each compartment would be controlled by the instantiator.

Special Thanks To

Comments

• romeograhamromeograham Member Posts: 431 PRO
    Wow!
    What a great example of how to use Onshape to set up a configurable tool for others to use!

I really like the way you use sketches as instructions! (Although, they'd prevent release of parts with Release Management, because they are in error state...I'm sure there's a way around that).

Amazing amount of work. - Nicely done!
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 484 PRO
    Wow!
    What a great example of how to use Onshape to set up a configurable tool for others to use!

I really like the way you use sketches as instructions! (Although, they'd prevent release of parts with Release Management, because they are in error state...I'm sure there's a way around that).

Amazing amount of work. - Nicely done!
    configure their suppression with a checkbox?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Fractal
    Instagram: @evan.reese.designs
  • eric_schimelpfenigeric_schimelpfenig Member Posts: 38 EDU
    This is pretty fantastic use of Onshape!

What's your process for going to CAM now? (specifically what machines and CAM software are you using?)
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work @cache_river_millworks ! I hear @eric_schimelpfenig has something brewing for Onshape on the CAM side of things. Fingers crossed!  :)
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Cache_River_MillCache_River_Mill Member Posts: 217 PRO
    This is pretty fantastic use of Onshape!

What's your process for going to CAM now? (specifically what machines and CAM software are you using?)

Our CAM software is Alphacam, nice software, but very old and out of date like all CAM software we have found...
    Our machine is a Felder Profit H50. It can do some neat things, but we do not recommend this machine due to the lack of tech support.

Once the parts are flattened we:
    1. Export the parts as solid parts.
    2. Import the parts into Alphacam.
    3. Extract the geometry off of the solid parts.
    4. Clean up the geometry.
    5. Apply toolpaths to the geometry.
    6. Check the sim.
    7. Generate code.
    We are looking forward to some CAM software that is as innovative as Onshape is. We have lots of experience with Alphacam if you ever need any software related feedback from another point of view.

Nice work @cache_river_millworks ! I hear @eric_schimelpfenig has something brewing for Onshape on the CAM side of things. Fingers crossed!  :)
    Thank you!

Really? I hope so, we can't wait for some modern CAM software.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 484 PRO
    @cache_river_millworks
    Any chance you'd make a video tour explaining what you're doing why and how here? I've dug around a bit, but I get the sense I don't know everything this setup is able to do. I like loom.com for quick videos like that.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Fractal
    Instagram: @evan.reese.designs
    @cache_river_millworks
    Any chance you'd make a video tour explaining what you're doing why and how here? I've dug around a bit, but I get the sense I don't know everything this setup is able to do. I like loom.com for quick videos like that.
    Great idea. At the moment we are pretty busy, we may be able to once things calm back down.