Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to fillet a corner of a rebate?

peter_morrispeter_morris Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited July 2015 in Community Support
I've created a rectangular block. I want to make two rebates with rounded corners on the extruded face.  I've sketched their outline and can extrude them to remove the required material.  I then want to round the corners.  But apart from one occassion I seem unable to create an extrusion that allows the fillet tool to select the corners - I only seem to be able to select the faces.  I've tried recreating what I did previously, but am unable to do so.

Grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Best Answers

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Do you have a picture of what you want or screen shot of your doc?

You can also make your doc public.

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • peter_morrispeter_morris Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Hi Bruce, I've made it public - not sure what you'll see, but as I last looked at it the rebate on the right needs to look like the one to the left.  The problem is that when I select the fillet tool I can only select 'Face of Extrude 2' rather than the edges that I would like to adjust?

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    I can't find your part. what it called? 

Can you add a link, just cut and paste out of your browser

With out see it, sounds like your part maybe a surface not a solid.
    Hi, 
    Hopefully this link works - its call Hot-air Engine.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/16edd4727fab4a6a98b28c87/w/a39fcc2b97c34e3a8d492ecf/e/baedefbe9bf0442ebb17fff4

for i've just managed to create a sketch on the bottom of the plate, extrude it and then fillet the corners as I required!  What is the difference between a solid and a surface in this context? (happy to read the help if thats where to go).

Note: I still can't edit the right hand rebate on the top face?
    now I've tried some more, including deleting the sketch for the right hand rebate.  This seemed to work as I managed to create the corners and rebate - So I continued to explore to understand how I achieved it and learn about the differences in approach.  Now I'm stuck with the original problem!  At the moment it appears to be inconsistent behaviour from OS.

Help!! Please.
    edited July 2015
    I think you are only selecting 1 region on your rebates sketch.

Click inside the right hand rectangle and it should turn orange. 

You can also select the whole sketch from the feature tree to get all regions,

ou an
    Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure that that is the cause, I've been trying to highlight the corners and then add the fillet, I've previously added adjacent faces, but it didn't help.  This image is what I was struggling to achieve:
     (Can't seem to add a screenshot!!) 
    I had been able to click on the bottom face, but it was the corner edge's that I wanted to highlight (as per the screenshot added in the previous post).  I've just tried to repeat the issue with a new drawing, and I can select, faces, edges and vertices at will - I've no idea what I did wrong as I don't seem to be able recreate the problem.
    Sounds like your all good then. Sorry I could not be of more help. 

Good Luck 
    Hi Bruce, Sorry to drag this out, but having continued the drawing I needed to amend the original sketch.  You'll see the latest version only allows me to select faces in the right hand rebate.  I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing differently.

Really grateful for any suggestions.  Please note that I want to round the corners of the rebate and will apply a fillet in the bottom later.

Hope his makes sense.

Regards

Peter
    Bruce, Narayan,

Many thanks for the help - Narayan, I don't know whether the sketch was hidden or not, I hadn't made a conscious decision about that so perhaps that was the issue.  In the end I deleted the model and created another - in much less time than it took me to do the original.  Now I have other queries, which I'll research before posting a question - I suspect that most are simply my lack of understanding of what most people would call common sense!!

Thanks again,

Peter