Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Insert a partial BoM Table in a Drawing (visible elements only, or chosen/hand-picked elements only)

n_schoemaekern_schoemaeker Member Posts: 28 PRO
Hi everyone,

I am making several drawings of a moderately complex assembly (smth like about a hundred part numbers), each drawing showing a specific section of the assembly (I've created Named Views (to get desired orientation) and Display States (to have only a subset of the parts visible on screen) for this).
I'd like to include a BoM Table on these drawings, but I obviously do not want the full BoM table, with all the hundred elements. Ideally I'd like to have only the visible parts. The idea is to then use Callouts to designate them.
Is there a way to either :

• do this automatically (like insert BoM of visible items only),
  • or insert an empty BoM / table and only chose (by clicking or selecting) the parts I want to include in the BoM ?

Otherwise, IMO "Insert BoM" is strongly limited for any non-trivial assembly, as the table quickly becomes much bigger than the sheet.

Thanks in advance for your time and answers

Comments

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 472 PRO
    @n_schoemaeker
     I have not found a way to do it yet, the workaround that I have used is to split the BOM and then put all the pieces needed on the sheet and move all the rest, off the sheet. This only works if you have to do that a few times, every time you split there is a new row for titles added at the top and that can make a big mess as well. 
     I agree this is something that needs to be addressed. Another problem is if you insert a multi-level BOM, I have not found a way to show the parent only with a callout, or collapse the BOM table to show only the parent. 
     Submit some improvement requests and post the links here, we'll vote them up. 
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    I'd love to have 'exclude from bom' be independent of the bom itself, rather than every instance of the part in every document. 

There still needs to be granular control over the bom sooner than later 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    While we always want "one source of truth" there can be multiple BOMs associated with a given set of documents (R&D BOM, EE BOM, manufacturing BOM, etc...). Having to control these with configurations may or may not be the best way. I could imagine that there could be a separate BOM tab type which would allow more of the granular control and features (branching, versioning, exclude-from-BOM, filtering, level control, calculating sums of parameters, showing/hiding of parameter columns, etc). Right now just having it in a table on the side is nice for navigating an assembly, but it's not as powerful as it needs to be.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    No, configs are not good enough, since each config could end up being a duplicate on a bom

(a cylinder extend, and a cylinder retracted for example) 
    I end up not using a bunch of configs that i want to, because it breaks the bom