Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I add notes to a sketch within a part studio

Scott_McKenzieScott_McKenzie Member Posts: 1 PRO
I know we can add comments, but is there way to add notes to a sketch itself, similar to when doing 2D drawings. 

Example:
Say I add some drawing lines for a component I want to use, a simple outline of the part to show size and location. It would be nice to be able to point to it with a note that contains the parts details. something like a drawing number, part number or details such as clearance requirements or reasons for the sketch position etc 

or am i just going about it wrong.

Scott
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Tony_C_Tony_C_ Member Posts: 272 PRO
    Right click on the sketch in the feature tree. You can add a comment there that applies to the whole sketch. 
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Scott_McKenzie 

Not possible as you describe.  As @Tony_C_ says, you can add comments but those do not show on sketch.  A work around would use the Text tool on sketch.  It would be better to make a drawing, import the sketch and mark it up there.   Or you could use a screen capture tool and save that on a tab if you like.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    andrew_kleinertandrew_kleinert Member Posts: 47 PRO
    +1 for this sketch annotation feature.

I see it as analogous to commenting a line of code ... despite the best efforts to code things to be intuitive, sometimes things just need a comment.

A useful extension of this would be to be able to annotate "TODO" action items, and then have them aggregated as a list.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @Scott_McKenzie the functionality that you request would be really great to have!  In addition I would like to be able to annotate sketch dimensions (can already do this with drawing dimensions).  These are all great means for conveying design intent.

Hopefully it won't be to many years before we can fully annotate, and tolerance, solid models directly ... pushing 2d drawings ever closer to museum exhibit status (right next to the slide rule, pocket protector, and "blueprint" machine).
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,361 PRO
    Here's an improvement request to vote for:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/8526/add-notes-alongside-dimensions

Personally, I would be very happy to get something that's similar to Solidworks' capability to add text to the dimension itself which always shows when the sketch is being edited.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    We've been experimenting with our workflow for this and so far the native commenting tools are the best. You can create a comment, tag the sketch, and even add an annotated screenshot of the sketch pointing to different things with arrows and notes to explain what does what all within Onshape. The main downside is people won't know the comment is even there unless they open the comment dialog on the side. Once they do, they'll see icons by the features and model elements that have additional info.

I'd still really like something more like what Simon is saying though, a way to color code, and add text to dimensions would be really helpful sometimes.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl