Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I make two remove extrudes that overlap

melodie_glassermelodie_glasser Member Posts: 3 EDU
Hi, I'm very new to 3D design, so I'm probably going about this the wrong way, but how can I have two overlapping remove extrudes that lead to a connected region?

In this cylinder, I want to have two tunnels that lead to the center.  In the center, I want them to join with a recessed region, that does not go all the way through this main cylinder, however, when these removals overlap, there's an error.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/55f382d0617a3378766cbb63/w/cdfa49ae5deb43f17c5e008b/e/f1d973ff2c2325828f65f509?renderMode=0&uiState=627c1b65457b57023032418f

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 209 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I believe the extrude that is failing is creating zero thickness geometry because the circle you're extruding is tangent to the tunnel end.  One fix would be to reorder the features to have the central recess first and then make the tunnels "Up to surface" rather than "Blind."

Answers

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 209 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I believe the extrude that is failing is creating zero thickness geometry because the circle you're extruding is tangent to the tunnel end.  One fix would be to reorder the features to have the central recess first and then make the tunnels "Up to surface" rather than "Blind."

• Options
    melodie_glassermelodie_glasser Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Awesome, thank you!