Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - May 16th, 2022

mfalkensteinermfalkensteiner Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 62
edited June 2022 in New in Onshape

With this update, you can expect many improvements in the areas of Drawings, Render Studio, and the Learning Center as well as another highlight: Lidar scans!

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

EXPORT 3MF FILE FORMAT

The export of assemblies or parts as a 3MF format is now supported. 3MF, also called 3D Manufacturing Format, is a file format developed specifically for additive manufacturing. It offers advantages over .stl, such as a smaller file size and better quality. Onshape also stores face color information with 3MF.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5r0mnr4014?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640 

MARKUP TOOL: DELETE ICON FOR SELECTED MARKUP

Deleting individual entities in a markup is now much easier. If an arrow is pointing in the wrong direction or a markup is in the wrong place, simply select the entity and click the trash icon that appears. 

Tip: Command/Alt + Z undoes the deletion.

IMPROVEMENT: ERROR MESSAGES FOR DXF AND DWG IMPORT

If a problem occurs when importing a DXF or DWG file, an alert message notifies you if the issue is a geometry, file format or file integrity error.

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

SHOW/HIDE PARTS IN DRAWING VIEWS

To show or hide parts in assembly drawing views, there is a new option - "Show/Hide Parts..." - in the context menu under Show/Hide. This opens a dialog window and the parts to be hidden can be selected from the drawing view. To show hidden parts again, open the dialog again and simply delete the parts that should be visible from the selection list.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/2togixrcg0?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

SUPPORT OF REGION REFERENCE IN CALLOUTS

Callouts can now point directly to a face or area of a part. The arrowhead when selecting an area is a point by default. If the point is moved from an area to an edge, the arrow type automatically changes to an arrow. The size of the point can be changed in the Drawing Properties panel under "Annotations".

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ydscvy6m03?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640 

ENTERPRISE IMPROVEMENTS

GLOBAL PERMISSION: TRANSFER DOCUMENTS OUT OF ENTERPRISE

This global permission allows the transfer of ownership of documents from the enterprise to users or companies, removing documents from the enterprise. This permission is only granted by administrators, and is given to users and/or teams except for Light and Guest users, which are not allowed. All admins are granted permission by default.

MOBILE IMPROVEMENTS

iOS: LIDAR 3D SCANNING SUPPORT WITH AUTOMATIC MESH

Onshape is proud to introduce a novel way to 3D scan and measure objects using Onshape Mobile on iOS, powered by Vuforia Engine.

Now, natively inside of an Onshape Document, you can initiate a Lidar (Light Detection and Ranging) 3D scan. Just pick up your iPad, walk around your target and notice how you will see the scan layered over the physical object in augmented reality, in real-time! Onshape will generate a data file as well as a new Part Studio in the document with a composite mesh. This feature is meant for larger objects or area scans today.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/l0o0e0gifq?embedType=async&videoFoam=true&videoWidth=640

This is a very new technology, so we are certain there will be improvements as time goes by. The most important thing to understand is that this is a novel approach by reducing the complexity and cost of getting 3D scan data into CAD and doing it faster than ever before.

Note: Lidar scan is only available on iPhones/iPads that have the physical Lidar scanner in the device. Available for iPad Pros 2020 and later (12.9 inch and 11 inch), as well as iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max.

ANDROID: EXPORT 3MF FILE FORMAT

On Android devices, Parts and Assemblies can now be exported in 3MF format. For more information about 3MF, scroll up for "EXPORT 3MF FILE FORMAT" at the top of this forum entry. 

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

SELECT BY APPEARANCE

Right-clicking on an appearance opens the context menu with a new "Select all elements" option. This automatically selects all elements this appearance is assigned to and highlights them in the graphics area as well as in the Scene graph.

COPY AND PASTE BY APPEARANCE

Render Studio now allows Copy and Paste of Appearances directly in the graphics area. A right-click on an element gives users the option to copy this appearance. Another right-click on an element opens the context menu and allows pasting with the usual three methods.

SELECT EXPLODED ASSEMBLY VIEWS FROM WITHIN RENDER STUDIO

Exploded views for better representation of assemblies often already exists in Onshape assemblies. With this update, the exploded views of Onshape assemblies can also be selected within Render Studio.

SECTION CAP COLOR

Section caps can now have colors applied if section views exist in the scene. Section caps must be enabled in Options -> Sections. The section view's cap color can be modified by selecting the specific section plane in the scene graph, and modifying the color in the selection panel.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

FRAMES FUNDAMENTALS

Onshape has a new course exploring the Frames toolset. This course covers modeling strategies when creating Frames, configuring Frames, creating a Cut list, using Frame parts in Assemblies and Drawings, and creating and sharing custom profiles. This course is available for all Onshape users.

RENDER STUDIO BETA FUNDAMENTALS

Learn how to navigate Render Studio and create photorealistic renders with the new Onshape course, Render Studio Beta Fundamentals. This course covers all the fundamentals of getting started with Render Studio, including creating a scene, adding appearances, customizing environments, setting up the camera, and rendering a final output. This course is available for Professional and Enterprise subscription customers.

VIDEO UPDATES

There have been several additional video updates to existing courses in the Onshape Learning Center, including:

• Advanced Parts Design course

• Update to the Sketch Transform video about how to use the scale option.

• Update to the Split Feature video to include new options.

• Update to the Variable Radius Fillet to include point selections.

• A new video on Overflow Fillet options including a reorganization of the Advanced Part course to include a new Advanced Fillet options lesson.

• Understanding Curves course

• An update to the Introduction to curves video to include new options in analyzing curvature combs.

• Onshape Surfacing Modeling course

• Update to the Curvature Visualization video to reflect the additional options when enabling zebra stripes.

• A new video in the Analyzing Surfaces lesson on face combs.

• An update to the Complex Surface Loft video to include match connections and iso curve options.

• An update to Tips for Analyzing Surfaces video including a new option to temporarily turn on fine tessellation.

• Detailed Drawings course

• A new video on adding inspection items to drawing sheets.

• Update to the center lines, center marks, and virtual sharps video to include automatic options.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments in the Forum post. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Principal Technical Services Engineer, EMEAI

Comments

• tanner_beardtanner_beard Member Posts: 5 EDU
    edited May 2022
    Good work!
  • christian_pettychristian_petty Member Posts: 65 PRO
    SUPPORT OF REGION REFERENCE IN CALLOUTS
    :)
    Christian Petty - Mechanical Design Engineer, Radian R&D
  • tim_hesstim_hess Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I'll be right back - going to price out some iPad pros...
  • Hans_Ole_LeirvikHans_Ole_Leirvik Member Posts: 78 PRO
    Nice work :)
    Now when you can identify parts in a drawing view, please make it possible to change linetype for a specific part or subassembly:

We very often show new parts on extsting parts, but we have for a long time missed this possiblity to show existing stucture with dashed linetype.
  • DodaschDodasch Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    3mf, the only real 3D-printing format! Thanks! 
  • dan_manoimdan_manoim OS Professional Posts: 16 PRO
    the 3D scanning is Hugh!! I used 3rd party apps for that, but this is so much easier.
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Awesome! Show-Hide parts in drawing views, balloon region select are going to come in handy.
    Thank God, a course on frames! I still can't get the cut list to do what I want. Hopefully the course will clear things up.

Can't wait to try out the Lidar scanning!

Nice work Onshape team!
  • shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Holy crap!  I didn't think I would ever see show/hide of parts in drawing views!  I thought there must be some underlying structural reason in the drawing environment that made it not possible.  I have wanted this for soooo long.  This feature is going to work very well with release management as often something gets released but then needs display states created for a drawing.  3d scanning inside onshape sound incredible.  These updates are so great and so frequent.
  • richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭
    @michael_lafleche and I are going live today at noon eastern to discuss the latest #Onshape release.

Join in on the conversation via comments. All are welcome - 
    https://lnkd.in/eCuuNjwH
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 74 PRO
    How about reusing existing Display States instead of hide/show parts directly on the drawing?
    STEG said:
    How about reusing existing Display States instead of hide/show parts directly on the drawing?
    Display states is still a good practice, especially when there are many parts that need to be hidden.

This option allows you to hide 1 or 2 parts on the fly without having to dance back and forth / regen you're drawing when you only need to remove a guard in 1 view for clarity. Leaving less clutter in the 3D space that's entire purpose was to make 1 particular drawing view clearer.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

iOS: LIDAR 3D SCANNING SUPPORT WITH AUTOMATIC MESH

WOW!! THIS IS AWESOME!!
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Region support and 3D scanning, no small feat! Great improvements for pros 
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
    Here is a practical example of where hiding parts only in 1 view is handy
    When there is a cross section that has stray parts of the section that are not important. (in this case, the hand railing that is below the sheet.

This came up just now. Perfect timing on this feature Onshape.

Ahh, much better

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who modeled the dirt bike??? I would like to get a link to that Onshape document.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Great stuff! Especially the drawing improvements. Many thanks!
  • christopher_dziubachristopher_dziuba Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    You spoil us!! Thankyou
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements

Just a little comment:
    SELECT EXPLODED ASSEMBLY VIEWS FROM WITHIN RENDER STUDIO
    The option shown on the animated gif was integrated in the latest version of Onshape.
    I think you should show this...

Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • jeff_brown304jeff_brown304 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I can't wait to give the new 3MF format a try since it supports multiple parts. That'll be a time-saver over exporting a ZIP file of STLs that must be extracted prior to import into the slicer.
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 100
    Who modeled the dirt bike??? I would like to get a link to that Onshape document.
    This is something I put together based on an old Pro/E demo data set, and using Onshape I added the pie-cut exhaust pipe (using my own custom feature) and the carburetor... I'd have to check on the original data set to see what is shareable
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/pUDO77XU31g
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común