Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

General Wiring Process

Axel_KollmenterAxel_Kollmenter Member Posts: 410 PRO
edited May 2022 in General
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a good/fast and efficient way to wire our assembly. Currently our process is a bit complicated... here it is:

For an example, we want to wire the following parts

For this, Im creating a new PartStudio, name it "Cables" and create a short wire. I use the "Freeform Spline" FeatureScript from @Evan_Reese and the "Wiring" FS from @jon_sorrells and @Noa_Flaherty (In the wiring FS I can see the automaticaly updated length of the wire!)

After I created the short wire piece, I load it into my Assembly and edit the spline in context.

If I finished this time consuming part (hopefully I hit the exact centerpoint at my Endpart on the red dot) I edit the wiring FS and select the spline to generate the full cable.

Now I have to copy this process again and again until I have all my cables. Is it possible to connect both endpoints of my cable to each component and form the spline afterwards?

We need the final Cablelength for our drawing for the production. So our colleges know which cablelength they have to use. 

How do you do the wiring Process?  There has to be an easier way. 

(In SolidWorks I have a CableDummy Part (just the ending) then I connect one ending with the component, edit the 3d sketch of the cabledummy, leave some point undefined, connect the second ending o the other component and then I fully define the 3DSketch) 

If I change the wirelength I have to manually correct the length on the drawing. This is a perfect step to forget.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/10611213839d10e1de982d7c/w/de2995498115a021c6fa7f0c/e/75f5d63ceb79da3ebebc9bde
Best regards,

Axel Kollmenter

Comments