Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Announcing the Third Annual Onshape Design Competition

mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179

Go head-to-head with top CAD designers in the third annual Onshape Design Competition! We’ve partnered with the Battlebots team Midnight Invention to bring you a contest like never before: designing a new weapon system for their robot Switchback.

You can work alone or as a team to design a new vertical spinner and wedge system for the robot. And since Switchback was modeled in Onshape, you can work from their model to design your own weapon system.  

Don’t forget to register for Onshape Live to participate. View the Onshape document for full competition details.

Regards,
Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD

Comments

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Evan_Reese
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,713 PRO
    edited January 2023

Exciting! 

Question:
    Do we have to "design a new vertical spinner and wedge system" ? 
    or can we "design your own weapon system" ?

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    richard_doylerichard_doyle Member, User Group Leader Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭

Exciting! 

Question:
    Do we have to "design a new vertical spinner and wedge system" ? 
    or can we "design your own weapon system" ?

I think a design will have to follow the specs laid out to be eligible to win the prize(s), but I wouldn't mind seeing some really off-the-wall weapons. If you're in it just for the fun, I say go for it!

Richard
  • Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that would be a NO for the rocket launcher I guess.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Haha @Evan_Reese @bryan_lagrange I don't know if I can participate as a current Onshape intern XD
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    Easy. Resign for a week, win, then get the internship back.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    @Evan_Reese I don't think it would be appropriate for a presenter to resign before the conference :wink:
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    okay okay okay you're off the hook then. For real though, I'm excited to see what people come up with.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Domenico_DiMareDomenico_DiMare Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 85
    We've gotten some questions and wanted to clarify the rules around what you can design.

You are designing a new system that can occupy the volume where the vertical spinner and forks/wedges were. If you are able to design a weapon system that provides a competitive advantage, fits the existing Switchback model, and follows the rules of Battlebots, then go for it! We do expect many of the submissions to be novel and creative takes on a vertical spinner and wedge/fork system, as that is what the Switchback robot provide the best opportunities for.
  • Options
    edited January 2023

For those interested, I believe these are the Battlebots Rules. Page 7 (Section 8) deals with weapons.