Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Removing frames from sketches images

Hello,
Do you know if it's possible to remove the frames from images inserted through sketches (see images below)? 
Thank you for your support.

Answers

• philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @federico_feroldi - this is great idea - PLEASE submit it through the Improvement Requests section of the forum so that we can get that work scheduled.
    Philip :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Julius_Saguinsin_81Julius_Saguinsin_81 Member Posts: 3 PRO
    This is a great help if the bounding sketch for image can be remove. Please have this for improvement Onshape Team!
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,698 PRO
    edited January 2023

@Julius_Saguinsin_81, I agree, this would be nice to have. It looks like an image needs at least 1 edge to remain in the studio. I added a button to  Image - Custom Feature that "removes" the border by scaling it down and moving it to the origin of the studio. This isn't completely removing it, but it will get it out of the way for you.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,462 PRO
    That's pretty cool!
    You could almost use that as a label "hack". Now that assembly sketch pictures are possible, is there a way to get that to show up in the assembly? 
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    Interesting take, Michael. I saw you're creating like 10 overlapping images to make it opaque. It might be nice to have an alpha input to control that with.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
    edited January 2023

@Evan_Reese great idea!

@eric_pesty, not atm. custom feature sketches aren't visible to assemblies or drawings.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    edited January 2023

Updated! Not sure how to access the preview slider count parameter. I'm sure there is a hidden way to use that. Until then we'll have to scroll:

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    @MichaelPascoe

That's a really a nice script, thanks

• billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    edited January 2023
    @MichaelPascoe have you thought about.......

Changing the lower left origin of the image in the sketch? Allow the origin to be repositioned on the image would help when sizing the image. Currently with your script and OS's image placement, you position the image, then you scale it, which moves the alignment, then you repeat the process. The madding way around this is to iterate on an answer when placing an image.

You're a few lines of code from solving this day one issue with image placement. By repositioning the image and making the origin the point of alignment, you'd be able to position the image, scale it and then rotate it one time ending the vicious cycle currently required to place an image in OS.

There is a really old ER to fix this issue and I think you could solve this problem easily with your script. Everyone using images to design would switch to your image placement script with these simple enhancements.

@billy2, this is good feedback. I've added your improvement requests to the comments in my document. This would be good to have.

If you would like a co-author, share the document with me and I'll write it in branch. If you like it, you can merge it into main.
    edited January 2023

@billy2, Let's do it! Shared and branched. I can post an official forum release with both of us as the authors when your finished.

edited January 2023
    Great! You do realize this could be this forums 1st successful collaboration, I'm excited. I'm working with another group and the branch/merge thing is working really well over there. I'm hoping it works well when editing feature scripts also, I believe it will.

I in the document thanks,
    edited January 2023

B)👍

edited January 2023
    I've got the centering working and it's what I've always wanted. Check out the "Billy2" branch. I'm still working on rotating about the center point. 

So you center the image about the insertion point using X center (%) & Y center (%) which is a percentage of the image and then you can scale the image. I think this is the use case people have always wanted. You insert an image, then center the image, then you can scale about the insert point and rotate about the insertion point.

As a double check when collaborating:
    -you have total control over the document because you are the owner
    -your version is still active when I use the image FS from the toolbar (you're still controlling the version which is v4 currently)
    -I'm accessing my branch using the document's FS link not from the tool bar
    -As a public document, I can't update the FS link to the "Billy2" workspace (which is good)
    -I don't know if I version my workspace if I could update your link to a version in my workspace
    -I not going to version my branch
    -You can merge my branch to main, I think I can do that but won't
    -Then make a version, which would make mine available to the public
    -Whenever we merge a branch to main, we call the version "merged from Billy2" so we know that branch was merged back into main.
    -You can then delete the branch "Billy2", only you can do this since you're the document manager
    -I also added a description to the document property so we know what this feature does, everyone should do this.
    -I did not copy this feature script, modify it and make it public. We don't need more image feature scripts in this world. If someone writes something that's good, ask to share, branch and contribute to the effort. The document owner is always in control.

Please give me a little more time to add rotate about center point.

Feature script description:

edited January 2023

@billy2Fantastic! I'll post it officially in its own discussion when your ready.