Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I chamfer an edge so it is flat between two edges of variable separation?

nasheed_xnasheed_x Member Posts: 2 EDU
This is what I currently have: 

I want to make it such that the edge has been flattened like this:

Except notice that the two edges are a variable distance apart from each other. How can I make it such that the chamfer is flat edge to edge.

Best Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'm not following what width(s) you want to control. Maybe a sketch on top of this? Do you want the chamfer to be a constant width, or what's left over from the original surfaces to be constant width?

You are likely to need to make what you want in a manual way. Perhaps a constant width fillet, then a surface loft between the edges and some replace face or split.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓
    Yeah I would avoid chamfer and loft a surface between the inner and outer loops then split the part with the surface.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I'm not following what width(s) you want to control. Maybe a sketch on top of this? Do you want the chamfer to be a constant width, or what's left over from the original surfaces to be constant width?

You are likely to need to make what you want in a manual way. Perhaps a constant width fillet, then a surface loft between the edges and some replace face or split.
  • NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,307
    Answer ✓
    Yeah I would avoid chamfer and loft a surface between the inner and outer loops then split the part with the surface.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI