Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Help with sketch constraints

mike_hockingsmike_hockings Member Posts: 11
I am trying to make a simple bracket to hold a panel so that it can be set on the frame of a machine or moved about as the operator may need rather than it sitting on the bench.  The idea is that it could sit on the top edge of the machine box but the display can't stick out much to the back into the gears or to the front off of the workspace.  So in the sketch I would like to rotate the front of the bracket counter-clockwise a bit but it won't move and I don't see the constraint that is holding it.  How does one identify what it is or push things with an angle kind of constraint (I don't see such a thing).  This is the sketch:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c49343d69184c838eb540297/w/040bbfcfb1554607b063c5ff/e/5fea36f7ba59422624b01b3e

Thank you for any advise

Answers

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Hello Mike. I took a look at the sketch but I can't perceive what you are trying to accomplish, mainly because I don't know where 'front' is. - Scotty
  • mike_hockingsmike_hockings Member Posts: 11
    Hi Scotty, ha, yes, good question, makes sense to me but I can understand how it would be a problem.  Imagine that the shape was extruded for 200 mm to hold a control panel - kinda shaped like a tablet.  So to me the "front" is the left side of the sketch ;)

Basically I drew the sketch and then started adding dimensions to it and it weirdly pushed the "front" down past the the base but I am failing to see how to find the constraint that is causing this.

No great panic about it now I started again and did it a bit differently and was successful but I would still like to understand how to diagnose this sort of thing.
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    It's not a constraint that's giving you a problem. It's a lack of constraints in key places that allows the sketcher to float in unexpected directions.
    Looks like the 125mm line was intended to stay horizontal but without a restraint to clarify, well......
    https://learn.onshape.com/learn/course/introduction-to-part-design/part-studio-interface/introduction-to-parts?page=1

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    @mike_hockings

Is this what you were looking for ?

edited March 2023

GIF will not post for some reason even

EDIT — I can now see the GIFs that I could not see before
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    If you ever get over constrained, the sketch transform tool is a great shortcut for removing whatever constraints are messing things up.
    Hi Scotty, ha, yes, good question, makes sense to me but I can understand how it would be a problem.  Imagine that the shape was extruded for 200 mm to hold a control panel - kinda shaped like a tablet.  So to me the "front" is the left side of the sketch ;)

Basically I drew the sketch and then started adding dimensions to it only trying to constrain the dimension that were important and it weirdly pushed the "front" down past the the base but I am failing to see how to find the constraint that is causing this.

No great panic about it now I started again and did it a bit differently and was successful but I would still like to understand how to diagnose this sort of thing.
    Hi @glen_dewsbury, the sketch is a simple bracket looking at it from the right side.  In the sketch the left side should be on an angle but not protrude past the start of the notch by more than 60 mm. The idea is that it would sit over the front of the machine but also be able to be picked up and set on the bench.

@S1mon that looks neat, I'll have to play with that tool as I can see how it could be useful
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/transform-sketch.htm
    So I did manage to create the part by starting again but I'll try this to see if I can fix the original

M

@mike_hockings

By chance, if you were looking for something like what is show in the 1st picture below,
    Then there are 2 vertical constraints shown in the 2nd picture that need to be removed
    and also a coincident constraint that is shown in the 3rd picture that needs to be removed

edited March 2023

@NeilCooke

I still can't post a GIF

EDIT — I can now see the GIFs that I could not see before