Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - March 20th, 2023

Daniel_KaneDaniel_Kane Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 22
edited April 2023 in New in Onshape
The middle of March brings our fourth, but certainly not final, release of 2023. We're excited to roll out a major assembly performance improvement, an overhaul of the iOS experience, and many more useful updates! 

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

ENHANCED ASSEMBLY PERFORMANCE

When opening a natively-modeled large assembly, you will now see reduced open time and web-browser-related RAM usage. This allows you to spend more time being productive and less time waiting.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/5g7kk139o9

HOLE TOLERANCES

The Hole feature’s Limits and Deviation tolerance types allow you to input zero or negative values for the upper and lower bounds.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/ccawbahphc

ELLIPTICAL ARC

Directly define partial ellipse geometry within a sketch, including major and minor axis direction and dimensions.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/1g0x15k77t

PROFESSIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

EDIT CUSTOM PROPERTIES WITH 'LIST' TYPE

A new User Interface has been introduced which gives administrators enhanced control over List options within a custom property.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/54yktg3q52

IOS IMPROVEMENTS

BOM TABLES

Onshape for iOS includes BOM Tables. Access the Bill of Materials in a flattened or structured view from either a workspace or version. Also, note that the parts and assemblies cross-highlight in the BOM Table with the objects in the graphics area. For the iPhone, the BOM is available from the Menu in the upper left corner and viewable full screen, and for the iPad, the panel is shown with the graphics area, and the panel is draggable.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/k1w3xwrv3y

DOCUMENTS PAGE AND SETTINGS

Onshape for iOS has updated the user interface to make more use of screen space and provide a richer user experience. For iPad users, we've moved navigation menus into a side bar that can be opened and closed. The active section is highlighted so you can easily keep track of where you are, and tapping the icon again closes the panel. Teams, Labels, and your company documents are now located here, while notifications can be found at the foot of the panel.

But that's not all! We've also redesigned the settings view to match the new split view enhancements. User settings are easier to access with standard account preferences like default units, profile settings, and team members at your fingertips.

These updates are designed to improve the user experience and streamline the navigation process, ensuring you can get the most out of Onshape for iOS.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/e9gmr0hpf5

ANALYTICS

For Onshape Enterprise users, navigation to Analytics dashboards is accessible from the left side panel interface, and all dashboards that are shared with you are visible under that node.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/lw03b1wefi

EDUCATION IMPROVEMENTS

NEW ASSIGNMENT DASHBOARD

The Analytics dashboard has been updated to show the data for individual assignment submissions. Now, Educators can quickly review student submissions without having to navigate into the document dashboard.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

ACCESS TO SELF-PACED COURSES

We have ungated all of the self-paced courses in the Onshape Learning Center. Previously some of the advanced courses were only available to certain Onshape subscriptions. We have decided to allow all users to access all self-paced courses. Please take a look through the catalog and enjoy learning!

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.

Tagged:

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,320 PRO
    Looking forward to seeing the assembly performance improvements. Lots of other little quality of life things.

Also very happy to see the open access to self paced courses. This should make it that much easier for people to get up to speed on all the functionality.
  • xTimRicexTimRice Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Yes better performance!! Time to assemble 100 v-twin engines!!!!
    Handcrafted furniture in Boston
    https://thesmoothcut.com/
  • mlaflecheCADmlaflecheCAD Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 179
    edited March 2023
    LIVESTREAM:
    Join Richard Doyle, the User Group Guy, and me, Mike LaFleche, the Professor, as we react to the latest Onshape update. This time for fans of iOS, there are a ton of goodies, plus some new sketching tools as well as better native Assembly performance in many scenarios. Plus, not to be understated: FREE SELF-PACED TRAINING for all Onshape users; no excuses now not to be the best Onshaper you can be!!!

10am Eastern Time, Tuesday, March 21, 2023
    LinkedIn:
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:ugcPost:7043698574542434304/
    Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puULjP2go8I
    Twitter:
    @Onshape, @mlaflecheCAD
    Regards,
    Mike LaFleche   @mlaflecheCAD
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,694 PRO

Legit update! Thanks Onshape & PTC team.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Alex_PittAlex_Pitt Member Posts: 46 PRO
    Nice improvements! Look forward to trying out the new custom property 'list' type.
  • Chris_D_Mentes_001Chris_D_Mentes_001 Member, csevp Posts: 54 PRO
    Hell YEAH! I'm guessing simulation times havent decreased though have they? Understandable ofcoarse. just a feature I'm thinking of using more often
    How can we tell when the new assembly performance stuff has rolled out? Typically, there's a little popup in the upper right which says something like "hey version 1.161 is out, click to find out what's new", but right now when I hit "What's new" under the "?" menu, it points to the last release.... hmmm
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Performance for large assemblies is highly welcome :+1: I've had few times when rarely accessed larger assemblies have become almost impossible to access at all.
    //rami
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 398 PRO
    Really nice that all self-paced courses are free for everyone! 

Amazing that you could increase the performance this much!
  • JosefBurjetaJosefBurjeta Member Posts: 10 PRO
    Looks nice, really looking forward to see how the performance of larger assemblies will improve.

Now I'm just wondering why is there +0.00 and -0.00 in Hole Feature. I was taught there's only one zero without any positive/negative sign. :) 
  • e_g_ee_g_e Member Posts: 11 PRO
    Receiving a notification for new Onshape updates always gives me a boost of motivation in the morning!

Great that we can edit and delete list properties now!
  • Pattabi_KakumanuPattabi_Kakumanu Member Posts: 39 PRO
    Great improvements and looking forward to test the "ENHANCED ASSEMBLY PERFORMANCE".
  • ilias_karagiannisilias_karagiannis Member Posts: 2
    Good job, its always nice to see updates. Keep up the good work. 👌
  • AECAEC Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Definitely a significant improvement in the assembly performance, much smoother to navigate, well done :)
  • john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,890 PRO
    Alright! Assembly performance, and hole tolerance. Sweet
  • emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great improvements!!
    En este enlace podéis ver las Novedades de Onshape en español:
    https://youtu.be/io34Ncv50aw
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
  • john_allen289john_allen289 Member Posts: 34 PRO
    Nice update, loving the admin level list controls, this is great for many reasons. We can now have a 'None' value; we can have long manufacturing notes easily labelled with a simple name, and the management of inactive values gives great control going forward. This is going to really help the admins here standardise a lot of non-CAD metadata text.

Assembly improvement is really significant, anything that brings a +50% improvement has to be applauded, and yes the free for all Self Paced Courses is excellent. Thanks Onshape!
  • Scott_MorrisScott_Morris Member Posts: 17 EDU
    The new Assignment Dashboard is awesome. So much information is available about the assignment. Now when I have students asking for more time or an extension, I can quickly see their progress to understand if they have put in the effort or not. Keep the EDU enhancements coming. The analytics in Onshape is a game changer for educators and is not possible with any other CAD system.  
  • WaldPinklerWaldPinkler Member Posts: 25 EDU
    I'm enjoying the software as the entry point to using 3d modelling. I've played around with solidworks afterwards and onshape is, for the most part much faster to use. Less clutter, weird quirks and featurescript is pretty nice. I think the biggest thing solidworks has that I've found is 3d sketching. Sometimes I want to just create a simple line between various elements. Bridging, projected curves, etc can feel clunky for a simple task.
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

How to know if you are addicted to Onshape updates, by ChatGPT:

1. You've started measuring time in "Onshape updates" instead of days, weeks, or months. For instance, you say, "I'll finish that project in two updates!" or "It's been three updates since we last met!"

2. You've created a special "Onshape Update Ritual" that involves your favorite snacks, a countdown clock, and a carefully curated playlist that builds anticipation for the moment the update message appears.

3. You've developed a phantom F5 key syndrome, where you find yourself unconsciously pressing the F5 key even when you're not near a computer or when you're on a completely unrelated website.

4. Your friends and family start to notice your sudden mood swings every three weeks, and they've started preemptively planning intervention-style "Onshape Updates Anonymous" meetings just to help you get through it.

5. You've crafted a shrine dedicated to the Onshape logo, complete with candles, incense, and a small F5 key charm, praying to the CAD gods for good fortune in the next update.

6. You've started a betting pool with fellow Onshape enthusiasts, wagering on which new features will be included in the next update. Your spreadsheet tracking the odds is even more detailed than your actual CAD designs.

7. You've tried to set up Onshape-themed holidays to celebrate every update, like "Extrusion Extravaganza," "Filleting Frenzy," and "Constraint Carnival." Your friends and family are still not quite sure how to participate.

8. You've begun to dream in CAD, where every night you're either designing new Onshape features or anxiously waiting for an update that never comes. You wake up in a cold sweat, grasping for the F5 key.

9. You've started using "F5" as a verb in daily conversation, leaving those not in the know completely baffled. For example, "I just need to F5 my life right now!" or "This party needs an F5!"

10. You've become an amateur meteorologist, closely tracking cloud patterns and atmospheric conditions, convinced that the key to predicting Onshape updates lies in the skies above.

@sebastian_glanzner Brilliant. 🤣

I'd be curious to see what prompts you used to get that out of ChatGPT.
    @S1mon
    Thanks, glad you like it  :)

I use ChatGPT 4.0 and used this prompt:
    Onshape gets updated every three weeks. The users in the forum are always waiting for the update and hit the f5 key very often to see the update message. It is like an addiction. Can you write a funny list with five points you know you are addicted to Onshape updates
    Describe the perfect Onshape update, make it funny

ChatGPT 4.0:

Introducing the perfect Onshape update: "CAD-topia Extravaganza!"

1. Auto-Design Feature: Your Onshape now comes with a mind-reading tool that senses your creative genius and instantly designs the perfect model without you lifting a finger. Now you can take a nap while your work gets done for you!

2. Coffee Delivery Service: The new Onshape update has partnered with all major coffee chains to offer instant coffee delivery right to your desk. Just hit "F5," and a fresh cup of java will appear, ensuring you're always awake for the next update.

3. F5 Key Fitness: Tired of feeling guilty about hitting F5 all day? Worry no more! Our new update turns your F5 key into a mini fitness tracker, so you can feel good about burning calories while waiting for the latest features.

4. Self-Aware Extrusions: Say goodbye to manual adjustments! Extrusions now come with a built-in AI that can sense your design intentions and automatically adjust themselves to perfection. They might even tell you a joke or two.

5. Pet Mode: Bring your furry friends into your CAD designs! With our new Pet Mode, you can now create custom Onshape pet accessories and toys, all while receiving live input from your four-legged design assistant.

In conclusion, the perfect Onshape update combines cutting-edge technology, your favorite caffeinated beverage, and a touch of pet-friendly whimsy, ensuring a productive and entertaining CAD experience!

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    @sebastian_glanzner where did you get this leak of the 2023 Onshape roadmap?

We keep things pretty tight-lipped about future functionality, and The Extravaganza was supposed to be super-duper-extra secret... especially the coffee delivery service...
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 258
    I regret to say that the F5 thing isn't yet on our radar. Please submit an improvement request, it helps us prioritize things.