Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

how CAN I IMPORT PART FORM OPENSCAD

clyde_warnerclyde_warner Member Posts: 2
New to CAD and OnShape and trying to use for my 3D printer but some models available are made using OpenSCAD and wonder how/if I can import to start using in OnShape directly.

Thank you in advance.
CW

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,064 PRO
    not sure what OpenSCAD can export, but Onshape can take a number of types. .stp, .x_t would be best.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    You can try to import your OpenSCAD model into the FreeCAD OpenSCAD workbench first. If your design doesn't use hulls or other features that enforce tesselation, then chances are good that you can export it as a STEP file with precise surfaces and then import that into Onshape.
    Otherwise you can export as STL in OpenSCAD right away - this will always be mesh data and thus an approximation for round shapes (so set the tesselation resolution high enough, e.g. with "$fa=1; $fs=0.5;"). This is supported for all OpenSCAD features.