Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exploded views

3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
I have kind of special requirements for exploded views and I would like to see what other users need from this feature (that most likely will be part of OnS at some point)

My request:
- Basic explode features
- Easy and full control over explode steps (change order, delete, modify, insert, etc.) 
- Easily keep groups or subassemblies non-exploded ie. moving together
- Possibility to render (with Keyshot) exploded models.
- Animations with a LOT of control to be able to create perfect assembly instructions. Run from link in product website / email, no sign in or other requirements for viewer.
- Pause, Notes with pointers, ext. Images and Zooming possibilities for animations.
- Hide other parts and show only next needed parts in animation.
- Combine animations together ie. create main- and sub-animations
- Animations automatically updated if model is changed (self explanatory)

I have done some assembly animations (flash :s ) with screen recorder and they are decent. But the problem is spending hours and hours on editing and if model changes - do it all again.

For example: LINK (click on 'Laatikon kasausanimaatio' and 'Laatikoston kasausanimaatio'). Don't change language since animation links only appear in Finnish description. 
//rami

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad I wholeheartedly agree with being able to animate and annotate the assembly going together (or coming apart for service reasons).  I think this is a far more efficient form of assembly instructions long term than just 2D assembly prints.  I would like a URL to the animation so that it could easily be shared or posted, if you will.  Since Onshape is the viewer, than no software is needed to view (awesome) (yes... BOO to flash).  I envision being able to have a QR code created for that URL pointing to the animation.  When a piece of shop floor documentation makes it out to the shop, the assembler scans the QR code and follows the instructions on screen (or augmented reality device).  This replaces the need for a 2D assembly print and operation sheets as they would be melded into one and all model based and always up to date when the model is changed.  Of course, 2D prints could still be created if needed...
  • Options
    christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    @3dcad  I too was just thinking about this. Seems "easier" to move parts (Along a Line) in Parts Studio than in an assembly. (OH! I was just playing with a Triad in an assembly and when moving it, it does "snap" to an angled line!! That changes my thinking!! I assume you could suppress all the mate constraints and move the part around to be "Exploded" and somehow save that version... maybe to another tab. I'll have to experiment with this as I want to create an exploded assembly image. Of course Group and move, but how can I save that!?
  • Options
    @3dcad Once again I could make use of an Exploded View. I guess I will have to suppress the Mate Connectors, move the parts with the Triad, use LightShot to get my image.... or create a Skeletion Part with Mate Connectors where the exploded parts would end up... and suppress/unsuppress those as required. Or just have two assemblies...
  • Options
    @christopher_owens  Yep, it is surely nice when you can simply turn exploded view on and off without interfering the main assembly

//rami
  • Options
    @3dcad I went with the second "Exploded" assembly. I needed an image for a GrabCAD contest.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......I assume you could suppress all the mate constraints and move the part around to be "Exploded" and somehow save that version... maybe to another tab. I'll have to experiment with this as I want to create an exploded assembly image. Of course Group and move, but how can I save that!?
    Can you use versioning and create a branch?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @andrew_troup  Since I am new to using Version and Branches... I created a Version and named it Exploded. I went back to the Main Document and moved the parts around. Then opened the Version and, yes, they were still in the previous exploded locations. So that did work. As did having a second assembly that I used just for the exploded image. 
  • Options
    juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I could definitely make use of exploded views with an option to export the image file.   
  • Options
    martin_cooper667martin_cooper667 Member Posts: 6 PRO
    how do you copy an assembly that contains several subassemblies over, without having to redo all your mates again?
  • Options
    malay_kumarmalay_kumar Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 93
    edited November 2016
    @martin_cooper667   You can select all instances, do rmb and select 'copy'. Then switch to a new assembly tab do RMB in graphics view and select 'paste'
  • Options
    eric_laueric_lau Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Hi All, 
    It has been a couple months since the last post on this thread (and other similar threads). Any new info on exploded views in OnShape? It seems like the best workaround has been creating a copy and moving the parts as you want (no exploded, collapse function), is this still the case?

The QR code or link to explode animation mentioned above seems like a great feature for explaining the assembly process, hopefully we see that come to reality. 
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Eric,

There have not been any new features related to exploded view since this thread was active.  If you would like to see this implemented please vote on the following improvement request:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1333/exploded-views

If you vote on the request it helps us prioritize our work, and you will be notified when the feature is added to Onshape.
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    eric_laueric_lau Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Voted, thanks @Jake_Rosenfeld.
  • Options
    Dave_HaglerDave_Hagler Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Jake, I don't understand why some of the posts in this discussion have the year in the date, the newest date from martin_cooper667 and malay_kumar with dates of November 2016.  Posts after that have April 25th and April 28th with no year.  Am I to assume that indicates 2017?  For now, I will assume that.  I just voted in the forum at the link posted in your April 25th (2017) post.  I am trying to do an exploded view in a fairly simple assembly right now.  I created a new assembly tab, inserted the assembly that I have fully constrained.  Right now I am trying to suppress the constraints in the new assembly tab and can't do it, even though I was able to suppress one or more constraints yesterday.  I am right clicking the constraint, but suppress is not in the popup menu.  This is obviously my lack of familiarity with Onshape that is the problem, but when I search on "Suppress Constraints" both in help and on the web, I find all sorts of things on Constraints, but can't find how to suppress them.  You can tell I am frustrated with Ohshape at the moment.  If anyone has a clue as to how to suppress constraints in an assembly, I'd very much like to hear it.
  • Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Dave!

Yes, if a year is not included it means that the comment was from this year.

It sounds like you brought your assembly into another assembly as a subassembly.  The mates of a subassembly cannot be suppressed.  Instead of inserting your assembly as a subassembly, try inserting them by copying and pasting the part instances from the first assembly to the second.  This process is described in this post:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/4044/how-to-copy-an-assembly-tab

This will copy all the parts, but none of the mates, so you can freely move the parts into exploded position without suppressing anything afterwards.  You may still have some trouble if the original assembly you are trying to explode has subassemblies in it.

This is definitely a workaround, and voting on the improvement request I posted will help us prioritize making a more streamlined assembly explosion.

Let us know if this workflow works for you!
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    sean_blanchardsean_blanchard Member, User Group Leader Posts: 49 ✭✭✭
    @3dcad I would recommend that you click on the link entitled "Exploded Views" and "Up Vote" that thread. This will provide more visibility to Onshape regarding what their users are looking for within the software.
  • Options
    @sean_blanchard
    I'm not quite sure what you mean? I have voted the request back when voting came available.

When this post was originally created I think there wasn't separate place for improvement requests in forums. 

Many good things has happened since April 2015 but exploded views is not one of those =) 
    //rami
  • Options
    bradley_saulnbradley_sauln Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 373
    We have pushed an update the enables exploded view functionality: https://www.onshape.com/cad-blog/introducing-exploded-views-in-onshape
    Engineer | Adventurer | Tinkerer
    Twitter: @bradleysauln