Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can a variable in a Part Studio be used in an Assembly?

tim_patersontim_paterson Member Posts: 7 EDU
The documentation page for Variable Table (Part Studio) says:

A Variable table is created in a document and the variables therein are immediately available for use in all Part Studios and Assemblies in that document workspace.

But the only way I've found to use variables in an assembly is to use a Variable Studio. It does not seem to work with a variable in a Part Studio (as that documentation line specifically says it does). So is the documentation incorrect?  And is there any easy was to transfer all the variables I already created to the new Variable Studio?

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Answer ✓
    Help is either wrong or misleading. You cannot copy variables, so you would have to manually re-enter them into a Variable Studio.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,495 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yeah that's poorly worded... I think it's trying to point out that you can create a variable studio directly from within a part studio, which then becomes available across all assemblies and part studios.
    But as you point out "regular" part studio variables are only available within the part studio itself.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,367
    Answer ✓
    Help is either wrong or misleading. You cannot copy variables, so you would have to manually re-enter them into a Variable Studio.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,495 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Yeah that's poorly worded... I think it's trying to point out that you can create a variable studio directly from within a part studio, which then becomes available across all assemblies and part studios.
    But as you point out "regular" part studio variables are only available within the part studio itself.

• Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 89
    There is a bit of a workaround to bring your variables from a Part Studio table to a Variable Studio.

1. Copy your variable table in Part Studio
    2. Create or open Variable Studio.
    3. Create a variable name, otherwise it doesn't work.
    4. Click on variable name, don't double click to input! Cmd+v (Mac) to insert to table content.

Check my gif. 

Hope this helps. Cheers

• Options
    tim_patersontim_paterson Member Posts: 7 EDU
    The documentation says you can paste, but I couldn't figure out how. It's certainly a hidden feature and thanks so much for demonstrating it.