Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Modify an existing polygon? e.g from 6 sides to 8 sides.

christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
edited August 2015 in Community Support
Hello! I didn't see this in the help or anywhere in the Forum. Also I didn't find in the sketch anywhere to "update" the number of sides to the polygon. I fear I will have to "start over" as this sketch was the first in the model!...Maybe, but still, adding two sides will effect the downstream features (tangent alert!). 
Back to the question. How to modify an existing polygon?? I guess you could add to this swapping "Inscribed" </> "Circumscribed". 

Best Answer

Answers

• stg434stg434 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    A constraint manager would be a very interesting and helpful add.  I agree that being able to edit time saving "canned" features like polygons, patterns, etc. is a must.  Otherwise, it puts too much of a burden on the user to "think carefully" before using a feature because you only have one shot to get it right.  Not a good scenario for creative work.

My take is that OS UX and development philosophy are guided by both the limitations of and their "vision" to use the browser.  I notice their comments regarding UX always seem to revolve around saving screen real estate and the like.  I'm not experienced enough to know the development trajectory of webgl and how that capability, or lack thereof, impacts OS design decisions.  Obviously, it's all about what is technically feasible as well as what fits their UX vision.
  • 3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I think polygon side count should be a parameter, it would be easy to edit and when we get named dimensions it could be run from outside.

@stg434 you can edit patterns, they have editable counts and dimension. You can also brake pattern apart if needed (remove constraints). 
    //rami
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In cases where you suspect or expect you may need in future to edit the number of sides of a polygon, and if downstream features were children of some edges or vertices of that polygon, which makes it very difficult to simply delete the polygon and recreate, I wondered if an interim workaround would be this:

Create a circular pattern (say, of small circles) whose centres would immediately become polygon vertices when a polyline was sketched by snapping to them.
    It's still quite a bother changing the number of sides, but preferable to starting over again.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    I also agree that it is required. Polygon is defined by circular pattern of lines so, similar to other circular patterns it should be editable for number of sides. I think after creating any polygon it should appear like below. 

so, just changing the value in 6x, should change the number of sides.

• christopher_owenschristopher_owens Member Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Just as a caveat... here is what I was working on, "Cosplay" rings to be 3D Printed. I created the 6 sided "prototypes" when it was mentioned they were to be 8 sided. Whoops! As you can imagine adding two sides to the polygon not only affected the surfaces and such, but also changed how my polygon was oriented! I imagine if you have the "critical" edge constrained it would stay in place as the sides increased. Must be why that "Final" button is there! Always faster the second time because you don't spend time thinking of the "how to do"!

• Andrew_Enslow_HPIAndrew_Enslow_HPI Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Another vote for the modifying the number of polygon sides with variables! shashank_aarya's idea is perfect!