Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Copy / Paste sketch from plane to plane misalignment

scott_melloscott_mello Member Posts: 1
edited February 2017 in Community Support
Hey guys so I have been playing with Onshape for the last 3 weeks and find it great and hugely challenging as a newbie to it and not from a CAD background. So I have been using the copy sketch paste sketch between layers which has been great for designing parts where I need to loft.

However just recently I am finding the pasted sketch is not aligned with the original which is annoying. I noticed when going back to an old drawing which previously did this operation perfectly, it also mis aligns. The mis alignment is consistent if I repeat the operation so the new sketch is always pasting in the same spot.

Also what would be the operation to move the pasted sketch and have it aligned to the previous if need be?

Regards

Scott

Answers

• Options
    Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    Hi Scott,

@NeilCooke may have an idea about how to align a pasted sketch, but personally to do this I would just create a new sketch on the new plane and use the 'Use' tool to create aligned versions of all the sketch entities you want: 

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-use.htm

Are you just trying to loft between two matching, aligned profiles?  If that's all you need then you can just use Extrude on the first profile :)
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team
  • Options
    stuart_robinsonstuart_robinson Member Posts: 21
    i would also love to be able to copy a sketch onto a new plane without misalignment.  "use" doesn't preserve spline points :(