Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Can You Copy or Move a Drawing View to Another Drawing Tab?

Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
edited September 2018 in Drawings

For example, let's say you started (or finished) a drawing using the ANSI standard and you wanted to change it to ISO. Since Onshape doesn't seem to allow this standard's change post drawing creation, how can I copy/move drawing views to another drawing sheet tab?  Being in automotive we have to deal with supplying different drawing standards depending on the end customer.

Comments

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @Don_Van_Zile Are you attempting to copy/paste views in an attempt to remake a drawing in a different standard?

Can you tell me what things you would need to be different between the ISO standard drawings and the ANSI standard drawings?  I assume most things may apply to dimensions styles here.  
  • Don_Van_ZileDon_Van_Zile Member Posts: 195 PRO
    edited September 2018
    PeteYodis said:
    @Don_Van_Zile Are you attempting to copy/paste views in an attempt to remake a drawing in a different standard?
    Yes, that's pretty much the case. Ansi to ISO or vice versa.
     Can you tell me what things you would need to be different between the ISO standard drawings and the ANSI standard drawings?  I assume most things may apply to dimensions styles here.  
    Dimension and tolerance styles to be sure. Also, the drawing sheet template has to change to communicate the tolerance scheme used, notes etc...
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @Don_Van_Zile We have improvements for copy/paste of drawing views, but I don't think that's exactly what you want here.

We do have improvements for being able to swap the format of a drawing (borders, zones, etc...) and a separate one for  being able to get properties from another template.  

As far as changing dimension styles, if there is something our property panel does not give you control over now - please let us know.  We've shied away from letting users change the "standard" of a drawing since it can be a bit harsh - you see lots of things change in the properties panel - but don't really know what.  There are also plenty of companies that make their own "standard" and it largely follows either ANSI, ISO, or something else, but contains enough differences.  Getting these properties from one of their own pre-made templates seems to be the better way to go.