Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Midpoint of edge tangent to circle

Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
The plane of a plate is tangent to a cylinder (red circle).
To get it symmetrically touching the cilinder I also like to fasten the midpoint of the plate's edge (red arrowed mate connector) to the green arrowed circular edge. 
How do I get this?

Henk de Vlaam (NL)

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    the mate connector of the plate should have an offset in the direction of plate normal equal to of the cylinder radius. then it will be tangent when mating to the mate connector in the center of the cylinder edge
  • Options
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov thank you, that is a trick.

However, this constraint is only valid with a fixed cilinder dimension. In this case the cilinder dimension is configured, so the diameter is variable.
    What I'm looking for is a constraint that works with different cilinder diameters.
    Any other idea?

Use of a variable could be a solution but the lack of global variables is a pitty. Furthermore, in this case that would not bring the solution because I found that variables can only be used in dimensions and unfortunately not as driving value for a mate connector offset and pattern instance count value. 
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @konstantin_shiriazdanov,
    1. I found why the configuration variable did not work beside dimensions: I used the (variable) Name instead of the Internal FeatureScript ID (the configuration variable in parentheses).
    2. Because the plate and the cilinder are designed in the same PS I used your suggested MC in that PS. Now everything is fine.
    Thank you.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)