Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How would I create a spoon that curves on different levels?

I'm practicing modeling different types of surfaces on OnShape but I'm stumped on how I would make something like a spoon (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbv7wViako). I know its simple but I really cant figure it out. 

I've tried making different planes but the points won't match up unless I'm sketching on the same plane. I thought that maybe 3d splines would be the answer but when I used them they only curved in 2d (for example they wouldn't move in the z-axis when using them on points on the x-y plane). 

Can someone help me out and give me an outline of the steps/tools I'd have to follow to do this? I'm not looking for a step by step tutorial as I'm trying to figure it out myself but any ideas or examples would be great. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    For modeling such a surface, I would suggest first thinking about how to model the overall surface separate from its boundaries.

For instance, the overall surface might be created by sketching the center section and revolving it, or by lofting through several sketches along the length. The boundary then might be created by extrude-removing with a sketch drawn from the top, or extrude-removing with a profile drawn from the side.

The connection between the spoon and the handle is important to also consider. For that I would suggest the "fill" feature, to create a surface with boundary edges, enforcing continuity conditions on the edges adjoining the two surfaces.

If you're looking for a less rigorous approach, the sculpt face custom feature will let you create arbitrary surfaces by simply dragging handles around. But note that this approach results in an imprecise, non-parametric design.

• Options
    kevin_romero472kevin_romero472 Member Posts: 3
    For modeling such a surface, I would suggest first thinking about how to model the overall surface separate from its boundaries.

For instance, the overall surface might be created by sketching the center section and revolving it, or by lofting through several sketches along the length. The boundary then might be created by extrude-removing with a sketch drawn from the top, or extrude-removing with a profile drawn from the side.

The connection between the spoon and the handle is important to also consider. For that I would suggest the "fill" feature, to create a surface with boundary edges, enforcing continuity conditions on the edges adjoining the two surfaces.

If you're looking for a less rigorous approach, the sculpt face custom feature will let you create arbitrary surfaces by simply dragging handles around. But note that this approach results in an imprecise, non-parametric design.

Ok thanks. I didn't see your comment until this morning by which time I had already followed a different approach. I used a projected curved to create the curve of the handle and bowl, but I am unable to make the bowl concave.

Additionally, I was unable to mirror the projected curve over the correct axis, and I was unable to add points to it so that I could create an arch for the fill or loft feature to follow. Any help is appreciated, and I've linked the document below for any one that wants to see what I've done so far.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/20431563c148ea6103cec64c/w/b9fd487cbbc6d5cfec84bc43/e/d6c1a67b0d418871299d9c1a