Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Looking for a good solid modeling project for my students

brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
I like to change up the mid-semester team project that I use for my 3rd year mechanical engineering technology students every few years. I break the class into groups and have them model the same project. I want them to pay attention to design and dimensional intent and incorporate it into their sketches and feature tree. The last project had about 35 modeled parts plus a number of "purchased" parts and fasteners. Each team needs to model each part and create assembly models. I have given them 11x17" pages with dimensioned 2D drawings. The premise is that they are early engineers who are handed an old reference design that was either hand-drawn or on 2D CAD and they need to update it to 3D for production or use in a new design.

What I am asking the Onshape community for are ideas. Even better, if you have real machine/fixture drawings that I could use, either directly or after some modification by myself. It has been 13 years since I worked for a machine tool design/build company and don't have any of their reference designs to use. I have created some of my own for projects, but would like a fresh perspective from somebody who currently works in a similar industry. I don't want anything too simplistic (which I find a lot of in textbooks). I want real. I am looking for a mix of simple to complex parts, extrudes and revolves, holes of various types, patterns, ribs, etc. I can break larger projects up or assign larger teams. I have 15 students per lab section so I could put them all on one large team if the project were big and complex enough. My goal is to help make these students ready to be first year engineers and designers. They expect me to make them work for their grades.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Brian Brady
Associate Professor
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Ferris State University
Big Rapids, MI USA

Comments

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Would model steam or IC engines be of interest to your class?  There should be at least a few of those floating about in the free domain.
  • Options
    brian_bradybrian_brady Member, Developers Posts: 505 EDU
    Would model steam or IC engines be of interest to your class?  There should be at least a few of those floating about in the free domain.
    Possibly. I will check into that as an idea.
  • Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    Let me know if you need help finding sources.